cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraudulent Third Party Charges Made Through my Phone Bill After Phone Was Stolen

Anto
Fledgling

This is a copy of a complaint I sent via a complain form. A similar email was sent to your CEO, Robert Finnegan. I will start using social media as early as tomorrow. 

I'm making a complaint as, after numerous calls to your escalation team which has led to a resolution not to be charged from fraudulent third party charges of £148.27 made on my phone after it was stolen, I've just received the bill with the third party charges in question. The escalation team had assured me these charges would not appear on my bill.

My iPhone 13 was stolen on 14 August and I went to ask for a replacement card to a Three Mobile Store which I'm using on an Android phone at the moment. I immediately saw text messages with the third party charges. I complained and escalated the complaint to the escalation team who assured me that I was not going to be charged for these charges.

I received two further third party charges on 28 August and your customer service team had to change my number. They guaranteed me that I was not going to be charged for these last two charges.

I would like to stress that you should not allow third party charges on my bill unless I gave consent which I haven't. Furthermore, third party charges on a phone bill are the most unsecured type of transactions and you should not allow them under any circumstance, particularly if you do not take responsibility when the transactions are fraudulent. No customers have interest in allowing third party charges as they can pay via credit cards where transactions are insured. The only reasons you allow third party charges on your phone bills is, therefore, for the economic interest of your business.

I will give you 48 hours to resolve this matter after  which time I will make a complaint to the Ombudsman, contact the press and television and send them a copy of the email I've sent to your CEO, Robert Finnegan, and I will leave Three Mobile for another provider.

In the meantime, I have cancelled my direct debit with Three Mobile and I'll pay the bill only when this is rectified. 

3 REPLIES 3
jiggy
Fledgling

Hey any update with this? I’m in the exact same situation. 

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @jiggy,

I'm really sorry to hear this, was your phone stolen also, and you've received info about premium charges? Please let me know a little bit more about what's happened, and I'll do my best to get you in touch with some more support with this.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Anto,

I'm sorry to hear about your experiences in terms of your phone being stolen and then subsequently used for charge to bill services. When we receive a report of a stolen phone, or are requested to replace a SIM the old SIM card is blocked and deactivated immediately, so it sounds like this must have taken place in a very short window of time after the theft if you visited the Three store shortly after the incident.

Did you have contact with our complaints team since you posted, please let us know what the result has been and if you still require any help.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.