cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching from Pay monthly SIM contract to PAYG SIM

panda
Regular

I can't seem to find any information about switching from a monthly Three Advanced SIM 8GB Data Unlimited Minutes - 12 month plan to PAYG keeping the same phone number and using a physical SIM card (in an iPhone). How does one proceed and what is the timeframe as I believe there's one month notice on the pay monthly plans?

It it helps, I'd like to switch from a 'Three Advanced SIM 8GB Data Unlimited Minutes - 12 month' plan that is way past the initial year to a Three PAYG as I'll be spending time abroad so won't use much my UK SIM at all, but would like to keep my phone number.

Can it be done online or in the iOS app (I couldn't find how)? Should I go into a shop? Any other advice on how to do this? Thanks in advance.

Best solution
Best solution
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @panda,

Sorry for the misunderstanding. We intended to direct you to use either the "chat now" button or the phone numbers listed in the "Call us" section. Did you manage to get the transfer to PAYG arranged?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

View solution in conversation

27 REPLIES 27
cyclicalcyclist
Fledgling

Hi, I'm having the same problem too now - online chat unable to move me from contract to PAYG because of an IT systems change.

Can you let me know how to escalate this to a team who can do this?

PeteG
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hello. 

It's understandably frustrating to not be able to get this done. 

You can log a complaint in relation to the issue on one of the options here. I feel it would be worth pointing out though that logging a complaint about it is something the team can do, but escalating it to the complaints team will not give the team the ability to work round any system limitations.

Pete. 

sebleslie123
Fledgling

Hi @JonathanB can you please send me the same info as I'm looking to do the same (moving from sim only contract to PAYG). Telephone and live chat say the same thing that it is not an option due to new IT systems and I need to make this transfer urgently. 

Thank you!

Seb

TiG
Fledgling

Exactly the same problems trying to move from Pay monthly (out of contract) to PAYG and keep my number.  Passed from 1 person to another on the customer service phone line and kept being offered different contract options which did not suit my needs.  Then told that it would not be possible to switch my number to a PAYG plan on 3 due to IT/software system changes.  Would like a clear, straightforward solution to make the transfer to PAYG and keep my number without having to move to a different network.

Obaidkalawal
Fledgling

How can i give monthely pakeg

midgelfc
Fledgling

I have the same issue. Looking to switch from Pay Monthly Contract to PAYG and just been told on the chat that this isn't possible. 

@JonathanB would you have any update or definitive answer if it is possible to transfer an existing number from Pay Monthly > PAYG? 🙏 

Chris_10
Regular

Im having exactly the same problem as all of you above.  Ive been told on the chat that the IT system is being changed and they can not transfer my existing Three number that i use onto a PAYG Sim .

I received an e mail 2 days before i was coming abroad to see my son for 8 weeks that, my current Three pay monthly contract (that i have not upgraded for a few years as I was aware that i would lose my included International and Europe Roaming) was going to be stopped from 5.3.24.  I have spent at least 20 hours on 333 and the Three Chat trying to come to a solution that means that I can remain with Three but continue to have my Go Roam by transferring to a PAYG contract. 

If I remain with  pay monthly they are basically offering me a doubling of my monthly payment to £16 a month with no Go Roam ---- This is just ridiculous.  I am also having to call and stay on line 11 hours ahead of UK time so this is highly frustrating and I need to resolve this asap as I use my number for my work ---- the only option that I see is that I end up having to leave Three after some 10 years plus just to sort this out

Chris_10
Regular

I contacted Three via Twitter and was given a chat link to Glasgow.  Corresponded with a lovely lady called kate and the solution at present is to order a PAYG Sim card - Select your data pack Activate Sim by putting in your phone then recontact the Three helpdesk via Twitter and get them to manually change your number over onto the new sim card.  Bonkers but thats the current work around - Dont bother with 333 or Chat as they are useless and dont understand the issue.  USE TWITTER (X)