cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching from Pay monthly SIM contract to PAYG SIM

panda
Regular

I can't seem to find any information about switching from a monthly Three Advanced SIM 8GB Data Unlimited Minutes - 12 month plan to PAYG keeping the same phone number and using a physical SIM card (in an iPhone). How does one proceed and what is the timeframe as I believe there's one month notice on the pay monthly plans?

It it helps, I'd like to switch from a 'Three Advanced SIM 8GB Data Unlimited Minutes - 12 month' plan that is way past the initial year to a Three PAYG as I'll be spending time abroad so won't use much my UK SIM at all, but would like to keep my phone number.

Can it be done online or in the iOS app (I couldn't find how)? Should I go into a shop? Any other advice on how to do this? Thanks in advance.

Best solution
Best solution
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @panda,

Sorry for the misunderstanding. We intended to direct you to use either the "chat now" button or the phone numbers listed in the "Call us" section. Did you manage to get the transfer to PAYG arranged?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

View solution in conversation

42 REPLIES 42
midgelfc
Fledgling

I have the same issue. Looking to switch from Pay Monthly Contract to PAYG and just been told on the chat that this isn't possible. 

@JonathanB would you have any update or definitive answer if it is possible to transfer an existing number from Pay Monthly > PAYG? 🙏 

Chris_10
Regular

Im having exactly the same problem as all of you above.  Ive been told on the chat that the IT system is being changed and they can not transfer my existing Three number that i use onto a PAYG Sim .

I received an e mail 2 days before i was coming abroad to see my son for 8 weeks that, my current Three pay monthly contract (that i have not upgraded for a few years as I was aware that i would lose my included International and Europe Roaming) was going to be stopped from 5.3.24.  I have spent at least 20 hours on 333 and the Three Chat trying to come to a solution that means that I can remain with Three but continue to have my Go Roam by transferring to a PAYG contract. 

If I remain with  pay monthly they are basically offering me a doubling of my monthly payment to £16 a month with no Go Roam ---- This is just ridiculous.  I am also having to call and stay on line 11 hours ahead of UK time so this is highly frustrating and I need to resolve this asap as I use my number for my work ---- the only option that I see is that I end up having to leave Three after some 10 years plus just to sort this out

Chris_10
Regular

I contacted Three via Twitter and was given a chat link to Glasgow.  Corresponded with a lovely lady called kate and the solution at present is to order a PAYG Sim card - Select your data pack Activate Sim by putting in your phone then recontact the Three helpdesk via Twitter and get them to manually change your number over onto the new sim card.  Bonkers but thats the current work around - Dont bother with 333 or Chat as they are useless and dont understand the issue.  USE TWITTER (X)

jimjamz
Fledgling

As of May 2024, Three are still unable to switch Three customers from a Monthly account to a PAYG account.

I spoke to customer support, who confirmed this.  I also received the same information by speaking to an agent via the live chat.

The only way to achieve this is to follow their bizarre procedure of requesting a PAC, moving to another network, then moving back to Three on a PAYG SIM.  Ludicrous! It's 2024 and how long have Three been around?  Yet, they cannot achieve such a commonly requested task in order to retain customers.  If you put me through so many hoops to try and keep me on a Three monthly contract, what makes you think I'd go to all the effort to return to Three just to be on a PAYG?

herbief
Fledgling

Is this still ongoing?  I am getting the same response from customer support (via 333) and getting no ETA on when this will be resolved.  Seems completely ridiculous!  I registered a complaint but don’t have confidence it will ever get addressed.

jimjamz
Fledgling

I would not wait for this to be resolved.  Three have had years to accomplish this and have made no suggestions that they plan to do this.  I see it as a ploy to discourage current contract customers to revert back to, or switch to PAYG.  Even if Three had our best intentions at heart, it is probably a small percentage of customers who are wanting to make the switch, that Three will use this statistic as a means to justify not going to the effort of implementing this process.

I've already moved away from Three in May.  I do not plan on returning to Three as a PAYG customer.

KateS
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hey @herbief,

Unfortunately, we're unable to offer a swap from Pay Monthly to Pay As You Go currently. It is something we've been able to do in the past, however, at this time, we're unable to process these requests.

The only way around this would be to port your number to an alternative provider on a PAYG SIM temporarily and port back to Three on a Pay As You Go account.

We're sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks,
Kate

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

podvodoy
Fledgling

Can we use a PAC code from a Three contract to transfer a number into a new PAYG three sim? Without going to a different provider inbetween? 

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @podvodoy,

PAC codes can only be used to move to a different provider.

Thanks,
Jonathan

LukaszM
Fledgling

Hi @JonathanB 
same story here.
 my contract is going to expire soon, so 2 days ago I decided to go to sim pay monthly.
after final thoughts about that, I changed my decision.
today I want to cancel that order and move to Pay As You Go, 
when i contacted Live Chat they were unable to help me for the same reason as many people before mentioned. 

are you able to help me move to Pay as you go?

Many thanks