cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The recent 3 system update caused me Account disaster and may take weeks to solve.

MarvEllis
Active

I have two Three SIM only contracts which I have had for a number of years. I have a main phone number xxx which I've had for a about 10 years and use it daily. As a backup (in case of loss of my phone) I have a second phone number yyy which is a spare. Both my numbers are on monthly contract.
Until a few weeks ago I have been very happy with my contracts, the service I received and I recommended Three as an excellent provider. I managed my accounts entirely through the three.co.uk website for bills, settings and all related services. As a matter of interest I have been using websites for many years as an IT consultant designing and working with hundreds of websites.
Then a few weeks ago Three sent me a message that their system was being updated and I would have re-register my accounts. I thought nothing of it as I've been working with websites for decades.

A couple of weeks ago I needed to log into my accounts. As anticipated, when trying to log in, the system told me to re-register which I assumed would take me just a few minutes to complete (as has been the case with the hundreds of other websites I have used over the years). However the re-registration process turned into a total disaster indicating, amongst other things, that my email address was incorrect (even though I had been using it with Three for about 10 years). The information appearing on my screen was chaotic and totally indecipherable.

I found it necessary to go to online chat which took several hours. Unfortunately the staff seemed unable to get my accounts re-registered. After about 5 hours of frustration and time wasting, I finally found another member of staff who got my numbers and accounts re-registered. This enabled me to log in via the website and retrieve the information I wanted.

Unfortunately my pleasure was short-lived. About 24 hours later I received a notification that a key parameter of my accounts had been changed by some unknown process. It advised me to log in and re-set the parameter correctly. To my horror I found I was unable to log into either of my accounts. The log ins completely failed indicating I must re-register my accounts yet again and repeat the earlier horror.
In the almost 2 weeks since then I have been on the phone for hours and hours speaking to technical support who tell me they are unable to restore my accounts for me to log in. There seems to be some system problem at their end which they don't understand and are investigating. In my last conversation a couple of days ago Tech Support told me they have no idea how long it will take to resolve the technical problem at their end - maybe some weeks?

As far a I am concerned Three is now a total disaster and it appears I may be unable to log in for weeks. I have raised a formal complaint, but the complaints system tells me I am unlikely to hear from the Complaints Team within 7 working days. I consider the service I'm getting is absolutely appalling and I urgently want to talk to Three management to get staff off their backsides to solve the problem and compensate me for the hours and hours and hours of time I've wasted getting nowhere.

9 REPLIES 9
sc1999
Local celebrity

I have worked with databases for more years than I care to remember and I cannot figure how or why separate email addresses are required. Let's face it there is already a unique number that can be used, the phone number. I have spoken to a few software developers and they cannot understand the logic of 3's approach. 

The Financial apps I use often get updated as do the back office systems and I have never had to re-register. Feet and bullets come to mind.

You would have thought with the VodaThree merger people would be trying to protect their jobs not throw them away. I do not get this hassle from Vodafone. 

MarvEllis
Active

@sc1999 wrote:

I have worked with databases for more years than I care to remember and I cannot figure how or why separate email addresses are required. Let's face it there is already a unique number that can be used, the phone number. I have spoken to a few software developers and they cannot understand the logic of 3's approach. 

The Financial apps I use often get updated as do the back office systems and I have never had to re-register. Feet and bullets come to mind.

I totally agree with you. I have in the past worked as an IT consultant for years which included accessing and registering at thousands of websites and never known anything like this total chaos Three have thrown my two accounts into. I fully agree that I see absolutely no reason for customers to have separate email addresses for each Three number they have.

In the last couple of weeks I have tried dozens of times to log in but it constantly fails. Staff cannot explain why I keep being confronted with this same message saying that a verification email has been sent yet it never arrives. They suggest the problem is at their end but it may take weeks to resolve. Meanwhile I am unable to access my account and view my monthly bills. I suggest Three are probably in breach of the law by failing to enable me to view my bills.

Who should I contact to complain without it taking more weeks for support to keep me waiting?

Rusty73
Fledgling

Hi MarvEllis, I feel your pain as I myself have received the same appalling service from three for the same complaint. I can’t log in I e tried live chat, phone chat and complaints procedure without resolve, I have multiple accounts with three and have tried all the things I’ve been told to do to re- register without resolve. I really hope they sort it soon as I’m ready to cancel all of my accounts and go elsewhere!!

jonahteej
Fledgling

Having the same problem after a long time with Three, service is shocking, including dealing with the bereavement team. Can't register the phone anywhere and can't log in with three different numbers. I also would like to cancel and go elsewhere.

MarvEllis
Active

Well, after struggling for weeks and weeks, I've finally managed to re-register both my numbers to the new system. It has been an absolute nightmare. Over about 20 years I've registered for many (hundreds) of other websites. Occasionally something changed in their system and I needed to re-register, but this process usually took just a few minutes.
I think it's about time Three explained to us why an account re-register process, which normally takes a few minutes on other websites, is an absolute nightmare on their system.

Watty47
Fledgling

You’re the lucky one, still trying to register my phone since the upgrade. No problem checking my WiFi account. Hey ho, here we go again 🥃🥃

Jocat2
Regular

I cannot verify my email as the link they send doesn't work when I do manage to log in I get a message saying session timeout across my screen and as fast as I press continue it goes off and comes back on immediately. I am getting really stressed about this so am thinking of moving to another provider.

MarvEllis
Active

@Jocat2 wrote:

I cannot verify my email as the link they send doesn't work when I do manage to log in I get a message saying session timeout across my screen and as fast as I press continue it goes off and comes back on immediately. I am getting really stressed about this so am thinking of moving to another provider.

It;s a pity that Three initiated this disastrous recent system update. Before that I've used Three for many years and liked them. But, yes, I fully understand that it has caused many customers serious problems and I'm not surprised to hear a lot of them are considering moving to another provider.

JohnM
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hey @Jocat2 

This is not ideal!

I have sent you over a private message with more info on this.

To view your private messages on the community, click on your avatar image in the top right of any community page, then "Messages".

John M