cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G Home Broadband - Poor Speeds!

G0FHM
Fledgling

Hi All,

I signed up to 5G Home broadband the other day. I have the NR5103E hub, and I have a number of issues.

For a start I cannot get a 5G signal strength better than -96dBm, the SNR is about 15dB. I've tried literally everything to improve the signal - Upstairs, downstairs, every window ledge, outside in the open and have even dangled by one foot from the gutter holding the router outstretched with my left index finger in my right ear (that was humour, but you get the drift).

Download speed wise the best I have seen is 21 meg (Ookla app, using various servers in various locations). 2x TV's streaming makes it completely roll over with buffering and severely degraded resolution, I have a couple of ROIP systems and the packet loss is horrendous. On my current wired connection I'm regularly getting circa 70meg over copper (FTTC).

Is there anything else I can do here to try and improve things? Or is it just cr*p in my area? I'm still on a Galaxy S8 so I don't have another 5G device to test against.

Any ideas welcome!

Jay

3 REPLIES 3
sc1999
Local celebrity

Go to the OFCOM coverage checker as you can check down to individual addresses.  The networks coverage checkers only cover a whole postcode.  

I would stick with fttp. I do as even 4g here is iffy.

paulchambers061
Fledgling

another suggestion is to find out where your nearest 5G mast is. theres a website called cellmapper.net thats a good place to start. If you click on the menu then provider then type 3 uk it should appear. Leave the network as 4g. Then you should be able to see the masts on the map to find out the direction from your house. Pick the mast with the most bands, for example my 5g mast has bands 1,3,20,28 . there are also forums you can find. I won't mention the main one here but if you search for "New Three 5G Hub (NR5103E)" you should be able to find it. Loads of suggestions in that like locking to specific bands.

Anvil_Iron
Rising star

What colour icons are you getting on top of the router?

What signal values do you get for 4G (not NSA values)?

Which bands are you receiving?