cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G Home Broadband issue (keeps dropping out for no reason)

Grum
Regular

HI,

I have had 3 5G home broad band for almost a year, never had any issues until the firmware upgraded to B12. For no reason at all it drops the internet, all lights remain on, 5 to 10 mins later it comes back on, or reboot to come back on quicker.

Never had any issues prior to this upgrade. Called three sent a replacement router, as soon as the firmware updated exactly the same issue, called again and the answer was do you want to cancel your contract. They seemed shocked i said no I want it fixed.

Is this being looked into, clearly there is a problem with the latest firmware

54 REPLIES 54
CeAr
Regular

Been having this exact issue for a month, just bothered finally googling it. Now I know I've been gaslit by Three customer service. 

I'll ask for a new router. If they refuse, would anyone be interested in a joint complaint to the Ombudsman? If they offer faulty devices and refuse to acknowledge the circumstance, well, I predict quite the fine.

talktohardwick
Active

Have you tried doing what I did (instructions a few posts above)? I had the same issue and haven't had a single internet drop out since doing it. I've had my internal wi-fi drop signal a few times but never lost internet connection.

CeAr
Regular

I did not have that model of router but yes, I tried that too.

Today I got my new router from Three, but I had to accept a new contract (at a lower price, at least) and they won't replace the old one. There hasn't been a signal drop yet, which would be exceptional if this were a coincidence.

stevekn
Involved

i've got wifi turned off and still getting drops, it doesn't work !

talktohardwick
Active

I take it back. What was a solved problem for me is now an recurring one. 

Usually I lose internet for a few minutes a day now. Sometimes it brings itself back to life. Other times I have to restart the router. 

Today's fun was that it only managed to load the guest network after two reboots and then ten minutes later the main wifi network magically reappeared again. 

Anyone got a solution for us that work at home other than tossing the router out of the window and buying a more reliable one?

Paul_at_Home
Regular

I have had this issue using a 3 mobile data sim and Zyxel 5103e router.  In an attempt to solve the problem I acquired a GL-iNet Spitz AX 5G router.

Unfortunately I still get regular internet dropouts using this different router.  
What I have observed using the Spitz info is that my LTE and 5G connection is rock solid with excellent connection stats.  All that happens is that the connection to the internet fails without losing cellular connection.

Without rebooting the router, connection to the internet returns after about 10 minutes.  The ip address remains the same throughout the loss of internet.  This is extremely frustrating.  A postcode search shows no faults.

I will monitor further and see if I can see any pattern to the loss of internet and whether it always returns after 10 minutes.

Kane
Regular

Shame this hasn't worked. As soon as I read it as a solution I did it right away hoping that it would fix the issue.

Hopefully something else gets done because the drop outs are incredibly annoying

Neil
Active

The 3 5g home broadband service is appalling...  it can't stay up more than a few hours as soon as there is some contention it drops your connection which then leaves it in a hung state and the only way to get internet back is to reboot it....

This isn't good enough for people who rely on it for working from home and have security systems online.

talktohardwick
Active

Yeh I have to reboot the router at least once every 24 hours now. It's not that difficult to make a reliable data connection or a decent router....

Kane
Regular

I wanted to add to this thread as I'm experiencing the same issues. Router is NR5103E and as far as I can tell the firmware is b14.

So far I've tried changing the hubs location a few times, different rooms in the house. It hasn't made a difference, the drop outs keep happening. I've also tired splitting the signal as suggested on an earlier page.

Any other solutions or tips out there? Any sign of this problem being acknowledged / resolved by Three?