cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5g router NR5103E native mesh

andyvee
Active

Can the NR5103E be used as the master router for a mesh?

If so, which systems are known to work - I don't particularly want to purchase a 3rd party mesh system where I have to cable the first unit as a router to the 5g router in pass through, that is just paying for an additional router in effect ...

I would have thought something like the Zyxel M1 Multy would work natively but I can't see any mention of that anywhere, the set up instructions say to set the first M1 device up as a router.

4 REPLIES 4
Anvil_Iron
Rising star

It appears the Zyxel NR5103E doesn't support mesh networking. There isn't any settings in the web-config.

Maybe range extenders will do the job if a 3rd party mesh system isn't suitable.

Only the NR5103 supports the EasyMesh certification which can be used with 3rd party EasyMesh compatible devices.

andyvee
Active

That's a bit poor. It isn't 2019, it is kind of expected that ISP routers support mesh. Either by their own solution (EE discs, BT whole home) or standards other manufacturers use. I see the 4G routers had a setting for Link+ mesh ...

andyvee
Active

Mmm. Funny how the tickbox for keeping settings on 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz the same has a tooltip to say this can't be disabled if Mesh is active. Looks like Mesh is supported, just hidden from us.

Avondale
Rising star

@andyvee 

I don't think that the Three version of the firmware supports mesh ; and the manufacturer's firmware for the NR5103E, which does support mesh, is almost impossible to get hold of in the UK.