cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G Not Turning On

IQue
Regular

Just wanted to check if anyone has come across this issue before. Currently my speeds are all over the place and the download rate can go below 0.5 Mbps.

There is 5G coverage in the area and I have tested the SIM in a compatible 5G phone and it works perfect! …and they are no reported issues currently.

I have called a few time but generally get put on hold or I run out of time to troubleshoot it any further.

The router is in a good position and LTE is fine but 5G does not show any signal at all. The router is up to date and it does not seem any other firmwares version are available. 

I have to go in to the admin console and switch the access technology under Broadband > Cellular Band, the Access Technology is set to NR5G-NSA/4G (Auto Switch) by default. If I change this to say 4G and then back to NR5G-NSA/4G (Auto Switch) it sometimes (and I mean sometimes, after like 100 attempts) shows 5G signal ...however this is only for a brief moment approx. 30 seconds or so.

While this is set the router shows blue lights for the signal bars and world internet icons and the speed from the tests are what you would expect for 5G!  …exceptionally good and stable.

But the moment both the lights turn green the 5G signal drops and the router is back to doing slower than dial up speeds???

Not sure whats going on?? I’m new to Three so I’m still in the grace period but it will be a shame to leave over something that could be a hardware issue.

The router has been reset back to defaults.

Any advise would be great on what to do or try?
thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Anvil_Iron
Rising star

Hi, Can you provide a screenshot of the Cellular Info page in it's current state. It may help to diagnose the problem.

As the SIM is fine, it could just be a bad router that needs replacing.

IQue
Regular

please see below for information / screenshots 

sometimes if I change the band to another and back it sometimes spring back to life, but only for a brief moment

i though i was making some progress today as it managed to stay on 5g for a few hours but now nothing??

Also if i switch the band to just NG5G-SA the connection drops completely, not sure if this is normal??

37BB9383-A0B2-4C24-8CB8-FD4D3F76C1E7.jpeg

AAE3DDA6-BD6D-44FB-9917-3D13FAF46038.jpeg

A1201B2C-529A-4439-AFF6-2B9992EBD916.jpeg

B6EE6349-05A0-4215-AE4C-0F9DA3A23254.jpeg

3A494111-A9BF-4EE2-A665-8ACF87A741A0.jpeg

879.97 KB of 941.69 KB
Anvil_Iron
Rising star

Try uploading the photos to your profile first before attaching them to a post.

IQue
Regular

Thanks for helping out in this one …bit I think we may have a solution for the moment, or until the router dies!!!

I asked about getting a new router from Three customer support but they just escalated my issue to 2nd line and said they will be in contact, but it will take up to 48 hours.

Anyway …just in case anyone else needs this …I read a review on CeX about this router and the user mentioned about manually setting the Band to n78 and b28. So I did ….and now over 24 hours later the 5G has been running great with no drops from what I could tell.

I’m use to 45Mbps download rate before I switch now i’m getting 250Mbps which is not what I was expecting ….upload rate is still the same around 20Mbps, but still good.

However I’m still uncertain to why the auto default settings could not handle the request correctly??

Thanks again, hopefully this will help someone.

If support do come back with anything else useful I will update.

LDN
Active

What happened with this? I have the same issue and can't get 5G working...

IQue
Regular

I think I have just posted on the post you created.

For me I had to manually set the bands on the router for 5g to show and connect.
It's might be worth a try if you have not done so already??

Login on to the router webpage and go to the "menu" on the top right, then click on Network Settings > Broadband > Cellular Band

Under "Brand Management" set the "Band Auto Selection" to OFF ...and then check/select "B20" and most importantly "n78" and save the settings.

Also my "Preferred Access Technology" is set to "NR5G-NSA/4G (Auto Switch)"

If it worked the world and signal icon on the router should turn from green to blue after a few seconds.

RPM3334
Fledgling

Thank you! I had the same issue of ridiculously low speeds; 5G was grey upon logging in and the globe was green on the hub. I followed your suggestion and 5G went green and the globe went blue. So far, the down speed is close to 300 ( from anything between 70 to 0.5 of old) and up speed is around 25. b20 + n78 didn't seem to work first up, but b28 + n78 did. I now have b20 + b28 + n78 turned on. Three Tech help didn't seem to have much clue when I called, other than saying they have noted it down and that if the problem persists beyond the cooling off period , I can return the item.