cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5g Router Constantly slowing to 0mbps

mmhexeter
Fledgling

Dear All,

I hope somebody can help. There has allegedly been 'work to my local mast' for several months straight (TN38 postcode), which in itself seems bizarre and unlikely but, whatever the reason, I'm currently having to reset my router (ZTE / Model: MC801A) several times a day when the internet just suddenly stops working.

There is usually always full signal strength, so it seems as though it must be the router itself or the router's settings causing an issue, or is 3 throttling speeds? I can have all 3 signal lights illuminated, and yet it will suddenly drop to 0 upload speed, and can only be fixed by restarting the router either manually or by the ZTE app. After the reset it will usually start to work perfectly again and at highish speeds (around 100mbps), until the same thing happens an hour or two later.

It's enormously inconvenient - so is 3's network at fault, is the router broken, or are there some settings that I need to access and change?

I should add that I would usually contact customer support, but the live chat function on the website is forever 'checking availability', the phone support says it doesn't recognise my SIM number, and my 3 account has locked me out (and never seems to recognise a new password when I repeatedly change it).

I'm on the verge of leaving this forever problematic network unless I can find a solution sharpish!

Regards,

Matthew

3 REPLIES 3
AX
Active

Same problem for me. Joined Three home broadband in February 2022 and it was consistently getting 300Mbps down and 30+Mbps Up. That was until early May 2023, since then its been abysmal. especially the download speeds (currently showing 0.08Mbps). Multiple calls to Three support have gone nowhere and now I'm just waiting for the contract to expire so I can leave for a hopefully better provider.

Nick_London
Active

Make a complaint:

https://www.three.co.uk/support/complaints/complaints-form

Usually call you within a couple of days. If you get nowhere send the complaint to the CEO's email and someone in his team in the UK/Ireland will deal with it.

However the complaint form is the first step of the formal complaints procedure. 

Nick_London
Active

Have you reported these problems to Three. You must report them if you have rebooted everything and it is still continuing.

Three only sells its home broadband service now to areas with the suitable 5G coverage which offers the same level of service you'd expect to get on full fibre.

Three can then check if your router is at fault or if the network is having issues in your area or if there is congestion.

If you have been in touch with Three to report the issue and you've gotten nowhere you can submit a complaint using the complaint form. Here...

https://www.three.co.uk/support/complaints/complaints-form

Unfortunately the community forums isn't customer service and this is purely for advice from other users with a few moderators on here.

So do contact them and like I said if you feel it's getting nowhere use the complaint form.