cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5g hub ZTE mc888 won’t allow WiFi calling

Rural
Regular

We have recently switched to Three. We switched from the standard broadband to the 5g hub because we are very rural and our highest speed on the line was 5mb. With the hub we are getting the fastest broadband we’ve ever had. But here’s the problem: it won’t allow us to use WiFi calling. We rely on WiFi calling because signal in the house is awful (old house and very thick walls). WiFi calling worked for us before but won’t with this hub. Can anyone help us with this?

57 REPLIES 57
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

All of our 5G routers use a combination of 4G and 5G technology, so I'd be surprised if there's absolutely no option, although the terminology can vary a bit, as it's the manufacturer rather than Three who set up the admin consoles.

It could be cellular band, network mode selection, or something along those lines. I'll check if there's any more info available for that router, and let you know.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

Rural
Regular

The connection mode is set to automatic and I’m unable to change this. 

Rural
Regular

They did tell us in the shop that it wasn’t possible to stop the 5g and just use the 4g. Also, Why should we decrease our speeds and just use 4g when this is a technical issue with 3 that needs to be addressed? It is bizarre that WiFi calling will work on some phones using the router and not others. 

Aaddhdber
Fledgling

Login to your router settings and disable sip alg in settings - “other”

you can find the ip address to login to your router here: https://devicesupport.three.co.uk/guides/device/ZTE/MC8885GHub/scenario/login-to-the-router-manageme...

Hagadol
Regular

I just went into the hub settings to see if this made a difference, though it was already set to "Off" as default so it is not that !

Rural
Regular

Anyone had any luck yet?

Hagadol
Regular

I spent 2 weeks playing email Ping Pong with ZTE support.  That ended with them sending me a video showing that they were able to use  WiFi calling with the unit.

I have an O2 account / sim for calls.  This has never worked with Three and this hub to do Wifi Calling. Though it works with nearly all other Wifi networks I have tested it on.

Does it work if you have a Three account / sim for calls ?

Has anyone tried putting another sim in the hub (from another company) to see if that works ? Then we can narrow it down to Three not the hub.

It does not fill me with confidence that this thread has been around for about a month and there has been no interest in the topic from Three.  I would assume that Three would keep an eye on their own forum.

Richbrb
Fledgling

i had this problem, my phone has an o2 sim with a three esim, e sim worked on wifi calling but my o2 wouldn't, o2 worked on any other wifi fine, i enabled adult content and now wifi calling work fine

Richbrb
Fledgling

i had this problem, my phone has an o2 sim with a three esim, e sim worked on wifi calling but my o2 wouldn't, o2 worked on any other wifi fine, i enabled adult content and now wifi calling work fine

Hagadol
Regular

Hopefully, soon rather than later, Three will have dealt with this and give an update here.

Come on Three !