cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port forwarding on ZTE MC801A 5G router not working

elarry
Regular

To access the OpenVPN server on my home network from outside, I need to set up port forwarding on the ZTE MC801A 5G router provided by Three. I found the settings in the router settings under Advanced Settings - Firewall - Port forwarding. I entered the LAN IP address of my OpenVPN server, set the port range to the port used by the server, and applied the changes. However, both canyouseeme.org and yougetsignal.com reported that the port was still closed. Restarting the router and my computer didn't help.

I called Three Customer Services. They said that they didn't restrict port forwarding, and advised me to contact the device manufacturer, ZTE. I called ZTE and described what I did. They confirmed that my procedure was correct, and told me that my router was custom-made for Three, so Three could have limited the functionality...🙄 When I called Three again telling them my conversation history, another Advisor said that it could be due to the default Safe Browsing restriction (adult content filtering, of which I failed to see the relevance) on Three home broadband. However, even if they removed the Safe Browsing block, port forwarding is still not working.

This is frustrating - I used to have the same settings on my Virgin Media Superhub 3 and it worked smoothly. I saw a few posts online reporting similar problems on this router. Someone said port forwarding only worked when it was in bridge mode, but I don't have another router and don't plan to have one. Has anyone successfully set this router up for port forwarding?

16 REPLIES 16
crypt0ninja
Established

Are you using the Three.co.uk APN or the 3internet APN? Which one is the router showing you are connected to?

The 'Three.co.uk' APN puts users behind a CGNAT and prevents port forwarding and causes all sorts of issues as all users are essentially sharing the same WAN IP so these users cannot be uniquely identified.

The '3internet' APN does not put users behind a CGNAT and you get allocated an IP in which you can be uniquely identified and should allow port forwarding etc just like 'regular' broadband.

elarry
Regular

Thanks very much for your reply, crypt0ninja - somehow I didn't get a notification, so I just saw it today.

I just checked my router settings, and I was already using the 3internet APN as illustrated in the screenshot. Are you using the same settings and your port forwarding is working?APN settings on my ZTE MC801A

elarry
Regular

Hmm, the screenshot was broken, so I'm posting it again.

MC801A 3internet APN settings.png

CSpec01
Fledgling

I had an issue today where the Three router acting as a bridge did not let the replacement router connect to the internet. The fix was strangely setting the APN mode to 'manual' without changing anything else, haha!

Let me know if this fixes your issue as that'd mean the portforwarding problem you've encountered is different to mine 🥲

Prydd21
Active

did you find the answer? 
possibly that three share IP address and port forwarding is not possible?

crypt0ninja
Established

Port forwarding is possible when using the 3Internet APN but not when using the Three.co.uk APN due to CGNAT.

Prydd21
Active

If you have actually done it, please take screenshots of the relevant pages and and post them.

Tree technical department say it’s not possible.

thanks 

crypt0ninja
Established

Maybe this port forwarding issue is specifically related to the MC801A then? I have the NR5103E and both port forwarding and UPNP are working for me and the process is similar to port forwarding on the majority of consumer routers.

You said Three share IP address and as such port forwarding is not possible but I was simply stating that's not correct, as when using the 3Internet APN each user is allocated their own IPv4 address (not shared) and as such port forwarding is possible, however if using the Three.co.uk APN then many users sit behind a shared IP address and as such users cannot be uniquely identified which makes port forwarding NOT possible in that case.

Prydd21
Active

You have miss quoted me, I said 

did you find the answer? 
possibly that three share IP address and port forwarding is not possible?”

Note the word “possibly “.

I tell the truth when I said “ Three technical department say it’s not possible.”

will you take screenshots of the relevant pages and and post them please?

id like to see your exact input so I can copy it to see if it works for me.

best regards