cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CGNAT 5G data sim... where to start?

Ashashashashash
Fledgling

Hello,

My property does not have fibre or standard (long story), so I have been forced into hotspotting from my mobile phone (currently only 4g, via three) for some time.

However, I've heard that I can buy a ZTE or Zyxel (any difference?) 5g router AND then plug in a data sim, and I can hotspot from this, at 5g speeds that will be better than the 4g I get from my mobile phone hotspot.

Is this correct?

My other question is whether Three are the only network with cgnat issues, or whether all data sims will encounter this issue? Does this cgnat/port/ip shenanigans result in online gaming not really working properly?

Many thanks for any help! 

• 5G
4 REPLIES 4
sc1999
Local celebrity

Have you used a coverage checker to see if you can receive 5g phone, and or, broadband?

Anvil_Iron
Rising star

Looks like the current Three Home Broadband router offerings are the ZTE MF286D (only 4G) and the Zyxel NR5103E (4G & 5G) so you should opt for the Zyxel router as it provides both modes and if necessary can be limited to 4G only.

You will only get 5G if your property is in an area that provides 5G coverage. The router is just 5G capable.

Maybe one of the Three moderators can answer your CGNAT query.

Ashashashashash
Fledgling

The coverage checker says 4g only.. even though I live in London 😕

But this is why I am looking into purchasing a 5g router and data sim, without using three. As my friends phones get 5g in my flat.

I'll wait on the mods... Thanks!

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hey @Ashashashashash,

I hope you're well. My understanding is that CGNAT is only used on our APN for phone plans/SIMs.

Even then, APNs can be manually updated. You'll usually find an option to set an APN profile, so if you set this to "3internet" instead of "three.co.uk" this may help. 3internet is intended for Broadband purposes whereas the three.co.uk APN supports mobile browsing and apps better.

As to whether other networks use CGNAT, I can't be certain on their IP design, however I expect so. It's a solution intended for managing the high number of IP addresses required for mobile networks, and although it can cause some issues with Broadband specific applications, it helps manage data connections for phones.

Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.