cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do they define the coverage map?

Rob64
Active

When I got my Three 5G router a few weeks ago, I was getting a 'Good' signal, the coverage map showed me just inside the Red '5G inside and outdoor zone', then they did a rework on the mast for a couple of weeks. After that my signal strength fell to 'Fair' there were constant update apologies that masts in the area were being worked on but the coverage map remained the same.

Then the apologies stopped and it was 'all clear' still only 'Fair' signal though.

Looking at the coverage map today, the Red zone from our only mast has shrunk drastically, my house is nowhere near in it now and just in the Pink 'Good news, in most cases you should be able to use 5G'

Do they actually send a survey vehicle around to measure? or is it predicted from modelling? or do they gather data from customers devices, so in my case my 'Good' to 'Fair' signal has helped cause the coverage map to change?

The problem now is do I keep it?.. at quiet times I have seen over 200mb download but at worst times as low as 30mb. My plan was an external antenna 4x4 as my understanding of 5G MIMO is the speed comes from multiple connections and more of the 4 antenna  getting a strong signal, the better the download rates will hold up.
I really want to ditch Virgin but I need a solid alternative.

5 REPLIES 5
sc1999
Local celebrity
techbloke
Active

I seem to recall pretty much all of the operators including small print that stated the maps were based on computer predictions but didn't take into account trees. buildings etc.

If they've replaced the gear they may have regenerated the map based on information provided by the antenna manufacturer.

I know engineers used to do drive testing (in a car with gear that made simulated calls, sent texts and connected to the data network) but don't know if this is still common.

sc1999
Local celebrity

I spent 15 years in the mobile radio industry and coverage maps are generated by software but these don't necessarily give the exact numbers for each address. Driving to each address would be costly. We had one customer, a bus company, and connected logging equipment into a bus and drove their routes to find their blindspots.

I believe that the mobile companies are signing up new customers faster than they can increase capacity. 

techbloke
Active

I gather that the UK market has been considered saturated since at least me getting my first mobile when I was 17 in 1999 which is probably driving them to sell fixed wireless access.

It does appear with each generation that user experience degrades as the existing user base migrates and operatord acquire new customers.

I've just moved across myself from an EE based provider as Three seem to beat them in terms of coverage where I live and can get a good deal on PAYG as while I mostly work from home I do sometumes go into the office and like to read the news on my phone during my lunch but the wi-fi isn't great where I choose to sit so mobile is the only way.

I won't be ditching my FTTP at home anytime soon though even though at the moment the connection to Three from my phone almost matches it.

sc1999
Local celebrity

A big ditto from me. I moved from EE as I got 100meg at 6am and 1 at 10am. With 3 I am lucky to get stable 4g and I will be sticking with my fttp.