cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Only - Strict NAT Type

RM_M
Fledgling

Hi all,

I have a new data-only SIM from Three which I'm using in a 4G router. Everything is working fine except I can't play some Switch or PS5 games, as they're reporting a strict NAT type. I'm using the 3internet APN, so I thought this shouldn't be a problem? Is there anything else I need to do to try to get this to work?

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
PeteG
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hello. 

Ah, that's not what you want when you're trying to chill out with an online game. 

The APN is 1 thing we'd check, but you've already got the right setting there by the sounds of it. The next thing worth looking at is to ensure the router has UPnP enabled. This will allow games and other online services to open up the required ports on you router automatically. The other way to do this would be to find out which ports need to be opened from the game publisher or console manufacturer, and open these on the router yourself. 

Another thing you could try is to place the console in the routers DMZ. You'll need to log into your router to see if it supports that feature. If it does, set the IP address on both the router and the console, and give that a try. Sadly, you will only be able to have one device use the specified IP address, so if this solution is the one you end up going for, you'll need to manually change the IP address of one of the machines if you're going to have them connected to the network at the same time. 

Hopefully one of these produces the desired results for you. 

Pete. 

Melchett
Fledgling

I had the same problem, the only thing that seems to work is changing the APN from 3internet to three.co.uk which my phone uses. All my games then work. Still yet to fine out the difference between the two APNs although I have seen suggestion that 3internet gives you a fixed IP address for your WAN.