cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FYI : IPv6 Prevented VPN Connection

Anvil_Iron
Rising star

My wife uses VPN for work and one day she wasn't able to connect. I checked the router (Zyxel NR5103E) web-config and noticed the Primary/Secondary DNSv6 server addresses info were present which weren't before.

I tried disabling IPv6 in the WAN and LAN settings but internet service stopped.

I then enabled manual APN mode and changed from 3internet to Three.co.uk and restarted the router. After restart, the IPv6 info was N/A and the VPN was able to connect. VPN also connected when APN was set to 3internet with manual APN enabled.

The strange thing was when APN Manual Mode was disabled and router reset, IPv6 info was displayed. It looks like the router was obtaining IPv6 and IPv4 info from Three if manual APN mode is disabled. This could be the PDP Type being set to IPv4/IPv6 automatically by Three where as in manual APN mode, I have it set to IPv4 only.

APN_3Internet.JPGAPN_Three.JPG

Best solution
Best solution
NG
Regular

Update: Anvil_Iron is the man!!!

To add a little detail to help the more ignorant like me:

First, log in to the hub from a browser ideally on your laptop (or I guess phone), not the hub app. (ie, 192.168.1.1/login, logging in as admin)

1) under top-right burger menu-->Network Settings-->Broadband-->Cellular APN, I set to manual so it ended up as follows:

NG_3-1689597772547.png

And under Burger menu-->Network Settings-->Home Networking-->Lan Setup, click on the 1st APN setting in the list (on the right-hand side where you click to edit), then

NG_2-1689597717197.png

I then rebooted the hub, confirmed settings remained as above, and rebooted my devices (including network switch).  Audio player and speaker when connected to my network switch  do show up on hub app both under Wi-Fi and LAN as expected.

... AND I'M NOW LISTENING TO MY PINK FLOYD ALBUM ONCE AGAIN!!!!!

Thanks again Anvil_iron!!

View solution in conversation

69 REPLIES 69
Involved

Hi. Have your download speeds been affected?

RyanBeves
Fledgling

just wanted to say thank you for this post.. I’ve been on live chat for 2 hours with three and they didn’t have a clue about this problem.. finally managed to fix it because of this post so thank you

andrewbrisland
Regular

This has worked for my issue also !! it must be something to do with IP4/IP6 but I have no idea why !! I don't know what effect making these changes has on other connections through the Hub but my work will be happy to know I can connect ! still no idea why it changed all of a sudden today, will anyone from Three give us an explanation ??

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

I'll mark this reply as the "solution" as NG has included some really helpful screenshots and instructions. Hope this helps with finding the relevant settings.

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

Jadeq
Fledgling

Hi Johnathan how do I get to these settings as when I go to “more settings” it doesn’t let me log in states I don’t exist 

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Jadeq,

I'm not sure anyone mentioned a "more settings" option, do you know which router model you have? The posters in this thread were using the Zyxel NR5103e, but we've also ranged ZTE and Huawei devices depending on when you took out 5G Broadband with us.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

Jadeq
Fledgling

Hi Jonathan I’ve managed to do it now 🙂 thanks anyway. This thread has helped me massively I can now watch sky tv and work from home thankyou!!! 

Rickygate
Fledgling

Looks to have fixed my problem of,

Netflix not logging in.

Router loosing network ,

YouTube not working and

Doorbell and CCTV disconnected problems.

Thanks Ng you're a star  

4l3x5pr1n63r
Fledgling

Just wanted to add that I've had the same problem since last Friday (all home networking lost) and that @Anvil_Iron solution solved it immediately. Very greatful.

@JonathanB hopefully the more people that express this problem, something can actually be fed back to the right team at Three, it's very frustrating that something like this can happen.

JCFromBerks
Regular

Just +1 to this that disabling the IPv6 as detailed above fixed networking issues for me also. So second the motion that this hopefully influences the developers to fix once and for all.