cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FYI : IPv6 Prevented VPN Connection

Anvil_Iron
Rising star

My wife uses VPN for work and one day she wasn't able to connect. I checked the router (Zyxel NR5103E) web-config and noticed the Primary/Secondary DNSv6 server addresses info were present which weren't before.

I tried disabling IPv6 in the WAN and LAN settings but internet service stopped.

I then enabled manual APN mode and changed from 3internet to Three.co.uk and restarted the router. After restart, the IPv6 info was N/A and the VPN was able to connect. VPN also connected when APN was set to 3internet with manual APN enabled.

The strange thing was when APN Manual Mode was disabled and router reset, IPv6 info was displayed. It looks like the router was obtaining IPv6 and IPv4 info from Three if manual APN mode is disabled. This could be the PDP Type being set to IPv4/IPv6 automatically by Three where as in manual APN mode, I have it set to IPv4 only.

APN_3Internet.JPGAPN_Three.JPG

Best solution
Best solution
NG
Regular

Update: Anvil_Iron is the man!!!

To add a little detail to help the more ignorant like me:

First, log in to the hub from a browser ideally on your laptop (or I guess phone), not the hub app. (ie, 192.168.1.1/login, logging in as admin)

1) under top-right burger menu-->Network Settings-->Broadband-->Cellular APN, I set to manual so it ended up as follows:

NG_3-1689597772547.png

And under Burger menu-->Network Settings-->Home Networking-->Lan Setup, click on the 1st APN setting in the list (on the right-hand side where you click to edit), then

NG_2-1689597717197.png

I then rebooted the hub, confirmed settings remained as above, and rebooted my devices (including network switch).  Audio player and speaker when connected to my network switch  do show up on hub app both under Wi-Fi and LAN as expected.

... AND I'M NOW LISTENING TO MY PINK FLOYD ALBUM ONCE AGAIN!!!!!

Thanks again Anvil_iron!!

View solution in conversation

66 REPLIES 66
Tbot
Fledgling

Just echoing some of the comments above. Incredibly grateful to @Anvil_Iron and others on this thread. I've been having a lot of issues over the last few months with my Nest Wifi Mesh showing as being offline in my Google Home app (even though I could connect to the internet), and many other network gremlins. I decided to upgrade to the Nest Wifi Pro hoping it might help. I spent over 3 hours last night tearing my hair out trying to set it up with no success. The setup process would get stuck with the Nest reporting a connection failure when trying to connect to the internet via my 5G modem. What's worse is that I couldn't even go back to my old Nest Wifi as the setup was now also failing for the same reason. I was at my wits ends and about to give up and send my Google Nest Pro back. I did not want to have to deal with Three's tech support as from experience I knew it would be a complete waste of my time.

Setting manual APN to 'three.co.uk' just made everything work.

I just can't believe Three aren't doing anything about this, judging by this thread and others it must be a pretty widespread issue affecting a lot of smart devices.

Involved

ABYSMAL customer service from Three. They should be ashamed. @JonathanB 

Zeaphod
Fledgling

Hi, just wanted to say thanks for your solution.  A version of it worked on my ZTE MF286D, which was not working with Netflix.  All other streaming stuff was fine.

As per your solution, after disconnecting the LTE, I was able to add a new APN with the name three.co.uk (no capitals), configured for IPV4 only.

Thanks again!

Pottydrill
Fledgling

yes, this worked for me. Phoned Three technical support and asked them to change my APN to v4 from their end, pwrted off/on router all now ok 

Router ZTE MC888

Pixpix
Fledgling

I convinced my wife to bin our terrible sky broadband and signal wasn’t great with just the router, so I bought mesh system which didn’t work (because of this problem) then inexplicably did work great for a while, then stopped working again because of this issue.  

I just wanted to say thanks for saving my marriage!  😂

Jonesdodga
Fledgling

Thanks man, 3 different calls to three, nowhere. Temporary issue apparently after mast was fixed. This has sorted the problem straight away 👍

Involved

Yeah, good luck with calling Three. Their customer "support" is worse than useless. Every single time I try. It's truly disheartening.

Glad you got it fixed!

Sa007
Fledgling

Looks like I have the same problem. Can some guide me with step my step guidance how to fix please with screenshots

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Sa007,

It's a little buried in the comments now, but this reply gives a bit more details and screenshots which may help you.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

Jadeq
Fledgling

Hi how do I get to these settings?