cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting 5g deal when coverage shows 4g only

doc1964
Active

Get great 5g coverage on my phone so wanted to try 5g home broadband when i decided to leave virgin. Went into local 3 store to ask about it. 

I wanted the 5g deal so asked about trying it out. Guy did a coverage check but for home broadband 5g was not shown as available, only 4g.

Decided to try it on the month to month contract but on checking, the month on month 4g deal was no longer available in store, only on line. As a result of this i was able to take the 5g month on month deal which was still available in store.

Got home, set it up and 5g speed and signal strength is excellent.

Anyway, month later decided to go for the 2 year deal with 3 months free.

Unfortunately, when checking on line, the coverage checker still shows 5g as not being available at my address despite me having great 5g signal on the 5g home broadband router i have.

So i cannot sign up.

Used the online chat today to query this and the lady that replied stated that what i should do is do the online deal for 4g modem. 

She told me that if i cancelled my 5g month to month contract that they would not request that i send that 5g modern back so when i got the 4g modern through i should use that SIM card in the 5g modern i have and just to keep the 4g modem as a spare.

So i could sign up to the 4g 2 year deal get the 3 months free, oh. And by the way if ordered using quidco you also get £75 cashback.

Great deal but i am concerned that i do get asked to send back the 5g modern i have and the deal is of no use to me.

Cannot believe that the coverage checker states i am not within 5g coverage yet a street away is and the actual 5g mast is so close to me and real life shows i have great access.

Anyway, would appreciate anyone's thoughts on this situation and whether it is worth my while trying to get the 2 year deal this way, i.e. take 4g deal and put the sim card in the 5g modem.

Thank you for any responses.

Cheers.

2 REPLIES 2
sc1999
Local celebrity

The are a number of posts and replies from moderators about why 5g broadband may or may not be available.

doc1964
Active

Thanks for replying.

I have read the various posts on why it may not be shown as available and totally understand the need to control volume of customers per mast etc. to deliver a quality service. Just frustrating that the coverage checker stops literally a street away from me and also the fact that i currently have a three 5g home broadband month to month deal but just can't get access to the online 2 year deal. 3 months free and £75 cashback from quidco makes a good deal even better.

Just need to wait and hope that they do update the coverage checker, wonder if future work on the mast will increase the area covered and shown on the checker. 

Thanks again.