cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm on a broadband contract, the network is unusably slow despite signal strength being at maximum

lanc3customer
Regular

I'm on a mobile broadband unlimited data contract with 3, I have a sim card that I use in a USB dongle plugged into my computer to provide internet access.

Usually the speed is fine, but for over two weeks the speed has been unusably slow (despite the dongle always connecting to the network fine and despite the signal strength always being at maximum). According to an internet speed test website I'm getting a 0.14mbps data download speed, which is horrendously bad.

I've tried a different USB broadband dongle and also tried the simcard in my 4g phone and the speed is always slow, so it isn't the hardware. I also have a close family member that uses a 3 simcard for mobile broadband and she's having the exact same issues so it's definitely a problem with the network.

The town I'm in is Lancaster in the county of Lancashire. The postcode starts with "LA1".

I've tried using your coverage checker website and when I enter my postcode it gives the following message:

"We’re fixing an issue with our network in this area We’re sorry for any disruption you experience. Our engineers are working on masts nearby, which means the rest of our network is handling more traffic than usual."

However, it's been showing this message for more than two weeks.
This mobile broadband is the only internet access I have so I need this issue fixed really badly as it's disrupting my life.

Please could someone help?

7 REPLIES 7
sc1999
Local celebrity

Sometimes it appears to take an age to fix a problem. 3 play their cards close to their chests, and I mean close, when it comes to system upgrades and repairs. Having worked in the mobile radio industry I know what have cam be wreaked when a system goes down and spares have to be made. This is not excusing 3 as it seems to be a recurring theme with the community. 

The only place where a quantum of information is available is with the social media team. Try this link and best of luck https://rebrand.ly/Communitywebchat

lanc3customer
Regular

My previous post:
https://community.three.co.uk/t5/Broadband/I-m-on-a-broadband-contract-the-network-is-unusably-slow-...

I'm not going to continue paying for a service that I'm not receiving, this is ridiculous. Do the people working on the masts (if there even is work going on) know when the work will be finished or are customers just expected to put up with this forever?

I want out of my contract.

sc1999
Local celebrity

If you are within 30 days of starting the contract you can cancel. Otherwise best of luck as I expect 3's lawyers have got you to sign up to a pretty watertight contract. You can try talking to the social media team on chat and you may be able to force a discount or get some detail of what is happening to the network in your area.

tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

I do not know if anyone has taken any network to court over poor performance. If anyone has knowledge post here.

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @lanc3customer,

I'm sorry for the delay in picking up your post, and to hear that you've been facing these really poor speeds for the last couple of weeks. Did you try the link shared by @sc1999, or have you spoken to any of our other customer services teams about this?

It's best to discuss this with a team that has access to your Three account, and they can look into if there's a timescale expected for the network issues, and what support we can offer, including how it would look if you wish to cancel as a result of these disruptions.

I'll send you a private message with a referral to some colleagues that will be able to look into this further.

To view your private messages, click on your avatar image in the top right of any community page, then "Messages".

Thanks,
JonathanB

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

lanc3customer
Regular

"or have you spoken to any of our other customer services teams about this?"

I can't, because my internet connection over your network is literally so slow that the webchat function does not work. Even loading this thread on this forum takes an entire minute or longer.

Here's what happens about 90% of the time when I try to load a webpage:

lanc3customer_0-1682513815788.png

And here is a screenshot of a speedtest of my internet speeds:

lanc3customer_1-1682514765640.png

Surely there is some way for you to find out if there is actually work being carried out on the masts in the LA1 postcode and find out when it will be complete? You're an employee of the company, it can't be impossible for you to get this simple information, surely?

ffxmadman
Fledgling

I’ve tried calling and chatting with them, all they said was wait 4 days, wait by this weekend, wait next week. Here’s £5 credit, wait wait 🥹

antingham
Regular

To anyone waiting a week like they said, I’m now at the end of the week and nothing has changed.  Amazingly poor service, they actually read the same script as I received a week ago.  I’ve finally been passed to a complaints team but I’m not holding my breath.  Such a pity as I used to recommend Three to everyone.