cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent connection issues loading/changing site- secure connection failed/site can't be reached

EDIflyer
Involved

Is anyone else occasionally getting a 'connection down' error from Chrome (or 'Secure Connection Failed' from Firefox) when changing page - if I hit refresh it works fine. At first I wondered if it was the site I was using but have noticed it on multiple different major websites over the past couple of months and not noticed it from other locations where I don't use Three Broadband so does seem to be related to the router/connection (this is via wired Ethernet too, so not a WiFi problem).  I've tried changing DNS server in case that helps but no difference.

It mainly seems to happen when trying to first load a site or (annoyingly) at checkout when a different site is being loaded as part of the checkout process.  It certainly doesn't happen everytime but does happen with reasonable frequency.  I've also noticed I often get it when trying to pull/push from/to Github too and have to do so a number of times for it to work (browsing the Github website works fine).

I'm using a NR5103E with Firmware Version V1.00(ACBJ.0)b14 - I tried rebooting it but to no effect.

EDIflyer_0-1697984212494.pngEDIflyer_1-1697984219294.png

EDIflyer_4-1697984241361.png

213 REPLIES 213
EDIflyer
Involved

@elkolesio thanks for posting, good to know that @tucu and I aren't alone!

We've also been discussing this in a thread that I started - https://community.three.co.uk/t5/Broadband/Intermittent-connection-issues-loading-changing-site-secu...

@JonathanB would you be able to merge the two thread?

@elkolesio would you be able to try connecting via a VPN and see if that helps? It made a significant difference for me and might help troubleshooting. Also are you on LAN or Wi-Fi? (I've seen in on both but might still be interesting to know). 

tucu
Regular

LAN made no difference at all in my tests. I've tried that, splitting the 2.4 and 5ghz bands, disabling one, etc, etc.

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Yeah best to keep one topic when it's the same issue. @tucu thanks for spotting this first. I've made the more recent thread by @EDIflyer the main one, just for visibility more than anything else as yours has sunk down the list a little.

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

tucu
Regular

I've stopped using it in the evenings - the speeds drop significantly. I am too at odds whether to keep it or not, as I was looking for an alternative to my regular provider which for now is A LOT more reliable. VPN helps, but I can't use with chromecast, for instance..

applepieman
Active

Same firmware same modem same problems here too. I work from home and this is causing a few issues, can it be looked into asap clearly an issue. 

AlSeek
Regular

Hello all. Likewise experiencing the same issue here.

I have been a three home broadband customer since April and have somewhat recently within the last maybe two months started experiencing this error. It is getting very frustrating as it seems to be occurring very frequently and more frequently than when it started.

I have a NR5103E routher with Firmware Version V1.00(ACBJ.0)b14.

It is certainly either a router issue or Three network issue, as I've experienced it on multiple devices (Linux, Android and Windows affected) both wifi and ethernet cable connected, and the same devices on other networks have never exhibited the error.

I've tried changing various settings on the router, like DNS, DOS Protection; but to no effect.

Tatablack
Regular

I'm in the same situation (NR5103E, firmware V1.00(ACBJ.0)b14).

I've also seen the same intermittent errors for a few months. Initially I thought it was the browser (I was using Firefox; as someone mentioned, Chrome does some retrying and the problem is less obvious). Then I realised it happened on the command line and in other apps as well.

I believe it's the same issue mentioned here:

https://community.three.co.uk/t5/Broadband/Three-5g-broadband-random-request-connection-issues-paren...

In that thread, the OP mentions that switching to 4G fixes the issue. I can report it works for me as well, though of course it cannot be a long-term solution. 

While on 5G, the "Cellular Info" section in my router's UI reports NR5G-NSA as Access Technology, and a RSSI of -89.

I'm using the following one-liner to test; it uses Curl to connect to github.com 10 times, ignoring the output but printing any errors. I'm attaching a screenshot of its sample output.

for i in {1..10}; do curl -I --no-progress-meter -o /dev/null https://github.com || true; done;

3 failures out of 10 connection attempts3 failures out of 10 connection attempts

applepieman
Active

So is anyone looking into this Three?

EDIflyer
Involved

Agree. @JonathanB there's clearly multiple examples from different customers now - are you able to escalate this to senior technical colleagues to investigate? 

MP
Regular

I've encountered the same issue, which has escalated notably in recent months. I tried different approaches, including changing web browsers, modifying SSL/TLS settings in about:config, and testing various DNS servers. My internet connection is established through a ZTE MU5001 (5G) router, directly connected via an ethernet cable. Notably, parental controls are disabled. This problem has also led to occasional difficulties in form submissions, causing the loss of work on multiple occasions.