cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent connection issues loading/changing site- secure connection failed/site can't be reached

EDIflyer
Involved

Is anyone else occasionally getting a 'connection down' error from Chrome (or 'Secure Connection Failed' from Firefox) when changing page - if I hit refresh it works fine. At first I wondered if it was the site I was using but have noticed it on multiple different major websites over the past couple of months and not noticed it from other locations where I don't use Three Broadband so does seem to be related to the router/connection (this is via wired Ethernet too, so not a WiFi problem).  I've tried changing DNS server in case that helps but no difference.

It mainly seems to happen when trying to first load a site or (annoyingly) at checkout when a different site is being loaded as part of the checkout process.  It certainly doesn't happen everytime but does happen with reasonable frequency.  I've also noticed I often get it when trying to pull/push from/to Github too and have to do so a number of times for it to work (browsing the Github website works fine).

I'm using a NR5103E with Firmware Version V1.00(ACBJ.0)b14 - I tried rebooting it but to no effect.

EDIflyer_0-1697984212494.pngEDIflyer_1-1697984219294.png

EDIflyer_4-1697984241361.png

210 REPLIES 210
seangb1989
Regular

I think they are just waiting for the vodafone merger, lol.

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi everyone,

I apologise again that I haven't been given any updates on what the root cause or fix of this issue is. I appreciate the lack of info or insight has been really frustrating, so I'm looking at other avenues to pursue this on your behalf.

I'm going to PM you each asking for a little bit of info about your account and devices. If as many of you as possible can get back to me with this, I'm hopeful that a contact will be able to help move this towards a resolution.

To view your private messages on the community, click on your avatar image in the top right of any community page, then "Messages".

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

applepieman
Active

I have sent details.

However, this is all very confusing. How can you pass an issue to the technical support team and they just ignore it? That being the case where else can you now go? It seems we have reached the point where we as customers must now start emailing CEOs/OFCOM etc explaining that our concerns/issue has been ignored for 5 months with no resolution anywhere in sight. 

AlSeek
Regular

Thanks for the update. I've replied with details now too. Hopefully your new contact is more successful. I appreciate it's difficult position for you when you are dependant on other teams to make progress if they are not forthcoming. With your new contact I would be happy to try a new sim card or replacement router if that can be issued by Three to at least experiment with changing some variables.
But as has been said by others, 5 months is a long time and if the new contact also can not get to a resolution then I would think some compensation is in order, being stuck mid-contract and a price rise coming in April for this is not sitting right.

bytespider
Active

This is happening to me also. I assumed it was something weird with my DNS but it's been going on for so long now I decided to search and found this thread.

bytespider
Active

This is also happening to me. I assumed it was something weird with my DNS so this weekend I factory reset everything, connected a single computer to my router and it still happens. Seem to affect github.com, ghcr.io, and some services hosted on Microsoft Azure. Like others the only way round it is to repeatedly try or use a VPN, which is not really practical.

I also have Adult Filtering off.

stevedp
Fledgling

Please can you include me in this? It is making me need to consider another provider. So frustrating.

Thank you

Stehpen

fashric
Active

Still happening............

baztm
Regular

This is still happening to me

As I mentioned previously, I've had two routers, a Huawei and Zyxel and multiple three SIM cards and it has happened with all. The only remedy I have is a VPN but then obviously I take a hit on speed.

I had many months of good service without this happening until at least last year.

bytespider
Active

Did any one ever receive a PM from @JonathanB about this issue? Has anyone had any feedback? I'm getting quite sick of this, as a software engineer working from home I tend to pull code from github.com, ghcr.io, and other sites quite often and lately it seems to be getting worse. I set up a script to attempt to pull a docker container until success every 30 min, and it took over 24hrs to eventually establish a connection and pull.

At this point the issue isn't intermittent, my broadband working is intermittent.