Our new roaming giveaway is live find out more here!
Give us your feedback about how easy you've found getting ready to roam on the above linked article, and you'll be in with the chance to win one of 10, 7 day Go Roam passes to use in Europe and Around the World destinations. Prize draw open till 01 May 2024
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent connection issues loading/changing site- secure connection failed/site can't be reached

EDIflyer
Involved

Is anyone else occasionally getting a 'connection down' error from Chrome (or 'Secure Connection Failed' from Firefox) when changing page - if I hit refresh it works fine. At first I wondered if it was the site I was using but have noticed it on multiple different major websites over the past couple of months and not noticed it from other locations where I don't use Three Broadband so does seem to be related to the router/connection (this is via wired Ethernet too, so not a WiFi problem).  I've tried changing DNS server in case that helps but no difference.

It mainly seems to happen when trying to first load a site or (annoyingly) at checkout when a different site is being loaded as part of the checkout process.  It certainly doesn't happen everytime but does happen with reasonable frequency.  I've also noticed I often get it when trying to pull/push from/to Github too and have to do so a number of times for it to work (browsing the Github website works fine).

I'm using a NR5103E with Firmware Version V1.00(ACBJ.0)b14 - I tried rebooting it but to no effect.

EDIflyer_0-1697984212494.pngEDIflyer_1-1697984219294.png

EDIflyer_4-1697984241361.png

168 REPLIES 168
wgen
Regular

I messaged quite some time ago in January, but haven't had a response. I understand your frustration with this as a software engineer as I'm one myself. I would strongly recommend using a VPN rather than utilising scripts to repeat requests to GitHub to save your sanity. I realise this will cause a hit on throughput, but I think it's worth it for a stable connection. FYI - I'm building images daily.

EDIflyer
Involved

Agree, I do the same - I've got a VPN connection to another site with 300Mbps symmetric connection so it thankfully has minimal impact on throughput. Definitely resolves the issue but still a pain to have to do so (and if you forget then you're stuck with timeouts on card transactions, Github, etc.)

bytespider
Regular

The script was just to prove that the issue is occurring with greater frequency depending on the day and time of day.

I use a VPN when I need to on my work machine, but I dont feel like its a practical solution for other machines like the one running my Home Assistant.

EDIflyer
Involved

Totally agree re the HA element, I've got a Pi 4 running that and it's a right pain to try and update things due to the Github connection issues.

@JonathanB any progress? 

bytespider
Regular

Another week with absolutely no response from anyone. @JonathanB has been active on other posts so it's my conclusion they are specifically avoiding this one.

applepieman
Active

That has clearly been the case since the beginning. Just give us your money and take whatever service we provide. Not long before my contract is up but hopefully this stands as a warning to those looking to use three in future 

wgen
Regular

The issue has gone away for me since yesterday. Anyone else experienced the same improvement?

EDIflyer
Involved

No change here - still lots of Github errors unless I connect to a VPN. 

fashric
Active

Nope, still as bad as ever.

bytespider
Regular

I have periods where it gets better then just as quickly stops. I managed a whole day without issue a couple weeks ago.