cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile broadband speeds

robertveale
Fledgling

I have a Three Contract phone, at home I get download speeds of up to 200mbs via 5G. I also have Three Mobile Broadband with speeds no greater than 18mbs but generally about 10mbs. Despite numerous calls to Three customer services they cannot tell me why or how to increase the Mobile Broadband Speeds. I presume they both use the same network and cell so why the massive differences? Anyone got any ideas?

7 REPLIES 7
sc1999
Local celebrity

Phone and broadband speeds are not related. They are down to the bandwidth available from the cell tower. However, there have been many posts about changing settings to get better performance. 

If you have not already searched the community posts for this then please do. Also, your router type and firmware version will help others offer advice.

Paddiewack
Superstar

Three mobile broadband uses devices that only work on 4g as opposed to 5g hence the speed difference!

sc1999
Local celebrity

You're correct,  I was thinking of Vodafone who have 5g mobile broadband. 

Anvil_Iron
Rising star

If the phone is limited to 4G, what are the speeds?

Paddiewack
Superstar

As far as this forum thread is concerned we’re talking about Three mobile broadband. The device has a theoretical throughput of 300mps although with 4g the most ours has ever achieved is 52mps! As for a phone I’d imagine it’d be similar,obviously handset and signal dependent 

Anvil_Iron
Rising star

I can see this is about mobile broadband. I'm just getting a speed comparison between the two devices when both are in 4G mode.

No device will achieve the theoretical speeds so there no point saying it has throughput of 300mps.

We need to ask @robertveale what the device speeds are as it's his post and problem.

Paddiewack
Superstar

The theoretical speed is a quote from Three not me and from the device blurb although I’m quite aware there’s more chance of me winning Strictly Come Dancing than my device achieving that speed. (Although I’m told I can muster a mean tango).