cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My 5G Home Broadband is misbehaving

angel76ph
Regular

I'm using a OnePlus 10T and is currently on the latest Oxygen OS 14.0.0.701.

I noticed that one of my apps has been misbehaving especially Instagram. NOTE:  i use my phone on an area with very fast 4G & 5G signal when i'm out or at home with my Three's 5G Broadband (ZTE Model No. NR5103E)

I'm concerned because the app doesn't refresh when you swipe it down so I am unable to see new contents. This behaviour is temporarily "fixed" by logging out and logging back it again or closing the app then doing a reset (not factory reset). The problem with this is accumulatively it's using so much time and greatly affect the battery life of my phone. 

I'm also blaming the home Wifi because even if i'm living in a 1-bedroom flat and the router placed by the window sill and the line of sight is clear of any obstructions I still feel it could be better.

I don't know if my router needs an update or software optimization or a wifi extender?

Please help. 

19 REPLIES 19
rky
Regular

I also had a similar kind of experience and in the event of this thing what I did is I remove the three Broadband Sim card from the Three router and then inserted Sim only Sim card in the Three router and this has resolved the problem. Not sure if these two Sim cards are using different spectrum. 

angel76ph
Regular

I can do that.

But how do i know if my router's software is up to date?

And how do i know if my router settings are optimised?

rky
Regular

You can try factory reset and then try firmware update

angel76ph
Regular

I've done a factory reset twice. And I have uninstalled, re-installed the app possibly five times, logged out and logged back it and the same phenomenon happens. 

The apps is question (Instagram) still does not refresh or show new contents even if connected on Wifi or 4G.

Any other suggestions?

PeteyP
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hello. 

That sounds like a strange issue, and not one I've come across before. 

Since you're having the issue with a particular app, and the issue can be resolved by logging out and back in, it doesn't sound like an issue with the connection. It might be worth checking if the app is up to date. If that doesn't work, uninstall the app and install it again. If that also doesn't work, I'd recommend checking the background data/sync settings for the app, to ensure the app isn't being limited by the OS. 

As for the Hub, those are updated automatically at night whenever a new update becomes available. 

Pete.

angel76ph
Regular

This phenomenon is indeed very strange indeed. Since setting up the hub last year it's only recent when i changed phones to a OnePlus. I've never had issues with a Samsung. Never tried other phones as Iam not that rich to own multiple phones. 

The issue is mostly isolated with the Instagram app. Other Meta apps such as Facebook or Whatsapp does not seem to be affected. 2Most apps that i use everyday (Keep, X, Youtube, Amazon, eBay, Gumtree, Shpock, Outlook, Sky News, Speed test, etc.) are all working phone with my Three 5G broadband and when connected to a 4G/5G signal. 

I've noticed that the issue can be temporarily fixed by logging out, logging in, i have uninstalled and re-installed the app, made sure background activity is turned on and cache deleted now and again.

What other troubleshooting i can do within the app settings or phone settings i can check?

Does setting a private DNS or turning on a VPN (Google) affect the app behaviour? 

Also, whenever i do a speedtest when connected to my 5G Wifi it sometimes does not complete the upload part. So far three out of five times it does not fail. Does that mean anything to you?

rky
Regular

If it is just instagram, you can try other devices, if on same network if behaves same try using adguard dns or cloudflare dns (use dns other than you already using)

Also please try to using ping command on PC for instagram.com

rky
Regular

If you are using iPhone please try to turn off private relay and try using instagram for few minutes without relay

angel76ph
Regular

I am using an Android phone.

So, how do i change the DNS on my phone?

I noticed that on my old Galaxy A52s the Instagram app seems to be behaving normally. (Whereas with my OnePlus 10T it simply wouldn't load properly...even on Wifi or 4G on Three.

Getting fed up now.