Our new roaming giveaway is live find out more here!
Give us your feedback about how easy you've found getting ready to roam on the above linked article, and you'll be in with the chance to win one of 10, 7 day Go Roam passes to use in Europe and Around the World destinations. Prize draw open till 01 May 2024
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NR5103E b15 IPv6 enabled - 192.168.1.2 IPv4 address on WAN

andyvee
Active

Hi

Not sure when this happened, but sometime in the last week or two.

Firmware has auto updated to b15 and I now seem to be getting IPv6 on the WAN - BUT - the IPv4 address is 192.168.1.2 and this is causing me all kind of issues with port forwarding and general connectivity.

I can manually change the APN to be IPv4 only instead of dual stack and I get a public IPv4 address and normal service is resumed.

Is this the only solution - force to IPv4 on the APN?

Or should Three be providing a public IPv4 address as well?

9 REPLIES 9
lordmerchant
Fledgling

Also suffering from port-forwarding issues as of the past week or so. Will follow this closely.

andyvee
Active

Check what WAN IPv4 address you have

Dave_P
Regular

Do you have problems setting the port forwarding rules? I can only see the host that is set to port 80 and translated to port 80 from outside. My DDNS setting seem to have been lost from the router so I can only use the public IP address to see it.

andyvee
Active

I'm seeing some odd behaviour if enable IPv6 and use ipchicken or whats my IP to check my public IPv4 address.

It keeps changing every few seconds between x.x.x164 and x.x.x.165 ....

No wonder IPv4 prt forwarding isn't working.

Back to forcing IPv4 then - this is a mess .....

andyvee
Active

I'm suspecting this is CGNAT related TBH - but I'm not going to enable IPv6 again to double check that the public IP according to IPChicken was in the 100.64.0.0/10 range. From memory, I think it was. No wonder the IP kept changing and IPv4 port forwarding no longer worked.

andyvee
Active

@PeteG any thoughts on this? Are 3 implementing CGNAT with the roll out of IPv6 and therefore IPv4 port forwarding will no longer work? Is there any way of opting out of CGNAT so you get a public IPv4 address as well on the router?

PeteG
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hello. I agree it sounds like something is off, but I don't believe it's CGNAT related. At least, I don't believe it's the intention. 

Three gives full internet access by providing a public IP address on broadband connections, and has done that for quite a long time. This was likely done because it's known that it's the only way to offer access to the internet in the same way fixed line providers do.

I can't think of a reason why that would be taken away at this stage. Each new example of this type of issue we see, we are feeding back internally. I know that the ideal situation is for people to be able to plug in, and get the full fat internet experience without having to worry about any particular settings, and I'm fairly sure the network team know that too.

Hopefully we'll see a more permanent fix to this in a future firmware update, or network side change, soon. 

Pete. 

andyvee
Active

Thanks - as long as someone somewhere is looking at how to fix the issue if IPv6 is enabled that you end up with a CGNAT IPv4 address

andyvee
Active

Tried again today, and whilst still showing as 192.168.1.2 on the WAN when IPv6 is enable on the APN, the public IPv4 address reported by whatsmyIP and IPchicken was not a CGNAT address. But it did keep changing every few seconds still ....

So back to IPv4 only again.