cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No 5G reception on the new Three 5G hub NR5103e

cj2022
Fledgling

Just purchased  the Three Home Broadband and have been supplied with the new router Zyxel NR5301e with firmware v1.00 (ACBJ.000b10

However it will not connect to 5G, looking on other forums this seems to be widespread, not very good releasing a new router that does not work on their network!

Does Three ever update their firmware on supplied routers? I was going to ring the Indian HQ for guidance but thought better of it.

29 REPLIES 29
ajwid01
Active

Hi,

I've had their Huawei 5G Home Broadband router for 9x months. Signals fluctuate all over the place.
I ended up putting mine in my roof, and it finally picked up a reasonable 5G signal. Problem is: they told me after 5x months of DIRE service, that 5G is over-subscribed, and when connections reach 100... someone gets switch out to a 4G cell. But 4G is over-subscribed too - and instead of 40-60 MB/s, you get 5-6 MB/s if you are lucky, but at peak times < 1 MB/s.

Before they admitted why I was getting booted off 5G, I did research on some of the old routers, that had firmware that allowed you to FIX the router to only connect to a specific CELL_ID. (I identified good/bad CELL_ID numbers, and wanted to try and fix these, to stop it switching all over the place.)

Unfortunately: the current firmware on the Huawei device doesn't let you fix the CELL_ID, and there hasn't been a single firmware update in the 9 months I have had it. (I think there was an open-source version at some point, that hooked into some capability to fix to CELL_IDs [I've searched all over the place to try and improve my 5G experience]. I just didn't feel comfortable messing with likely unsupported firmware - and properly breaking things. 

T.

cabte
Regular

I got mine on Friday same thing no 5G But i have firmware vb8, after looking over the internet i found a group and everyone with Vb8 carnt get 5G but everyone with Vb10 they all have 5G and full access

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @cj2022@cabte,

I've had a check into this issue. We're aware of an issue with the firmware version ending b8, you should normally get an update to the version ending b10 either when first switching the router on, or overnight, we're not aware of an issue connecting when on the b10 version.

I'll PM each of you so we can get some further checks done.

JonathanB

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

cabte
Regular

I’ve had two hubs now both have been b8 and neither have been able to force the update.

b10 works perfectly fine. Im in a group and I’d say there’s over 100 people all with the same issue. b8 is the problem. And when you speak to customer services they all say there’s isn’t a problem. And to speak to the manufacturer. And they give the number out. 

cj2022
Fledgling

Decided to terminate the contract and return the device, have lost all signal four times on this router despite it stating it is connected, while my three sim in my phone is still working, would advise only getting a 30 day rolling contact with this device. They only give you five days to return the router, then the indian call centre said they will automatically charge you for the router if not received by then, and Royal Mail on strike this week!

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @cj2022,

It's disappointing to hear that you'll be cancelling, but I can understand the decision if you've not been getting a stable connection. Just to clarify the returns process, you'll receive a returns pack within 5 working days, and we normally expect the return within the following 5 working days. So you're actually covered for 10 working days on this. If the strike delays you receiving the returns pack on time, keep customer services updated so that they can log the delay, and send another pack if necessary.

If you need any further support with your broadband, or the returns process, please don't hesitate to let me know.

JonathanB

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

cabte
Regular

Ok so I’m tue group I’m on they a way to force the update. 
If you log in to admin

network setting 

broadband 

cellular band 

under band management move tue blue slider across and it gives you a drop-down of bands. If you tick B1 and B3 then click apply the unit will start to flash and update. 
once it’s updated called it back to auto select and the access Technology will have new access saying NR5G-NSA/4G ( Auto switch ) 

5G should all be working now and you should be running v10 

758897D5-9455-4CB9-963C-847377496498.jpeg

fr2uk
Fledgling

Same issue here, just received mine today and it's unable to connect to 5G. My firmware version is V1.00(ACBJ.0)b8.

I contacted technical support and was told to wait until tomorrow, which wasn't really helpful. Apparently you need to wait for the network to settle. That makes no sense whatsoever, either the 5G signal is present, or it's not, and right now, the hub is unable to connect to the 5G network, which isn't great for a hub built specifically for that purpose. I tried following cabte's steps but I am unable to force the firmware version to update. My guess is that this update should happen automatically overnight if you leave your device on.

If that issue doesn't resolve itself by tomorrow, I will cancel my 5G home broadband.

StephR
Employee
Employee

Hey @fr2uk sorry you've also had issues connecting to 5G. Let us know if that update happens on your hub, and if you can see any issues in your area on the network status checker

StephR

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.