cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor signal on on 4G Mobile Broadband Hub

MrHeath
Fledgling

I signed up to Three's 4G Mobile Broadband Hub seven months ago and for the last seven months have enjoyed excellent internet connectivity and good signal, usually averaging 3-4 bars a day (I live in a rural area so this is like having a full 5 bars) and good speeds. Occasionally over the last couple of months, the device would switch over to 3G but the speeds were still good and this would only be temporary. So, I've had no problems until now.

On Wednesday night, the signal became really poor. I'm only averaging about 1-2 bars and the speed is really slow and sluggish when trying to browse the internet. Initially I put it down to bad weather as we had bad weather in the Andover, Hampshire area on Wednesday night. When it was still like it in the morning, I contacted customer services. They wanted me to contact their technical team but I wasn't convinced that there was anything wrong with the router because, apart from the signal and slow speeds, it's working exactly as it should. The rep also tried to blame the issue on the position of the hub. I again disagreed as I have had the hub in the same position for the last seven months and have always enjoyed good reception in this position, so why would it start receiving weak signals all of a sudden? When I was put through to the complaints dept. they informed me that work was going on in my area on masts and this would affect the signal. They said the issue would be fixed by yesterday. It wasn't. I chatted online again and now was told it would be fixed within 7 days and have had some money waived off of my bill for this month.

But, I've been thinking now and am wondering if the issue is to do with the ongoing works or if there is an issue with the router and/or SIM card. I'm going to wait for the seven days to be up or the works to be completed because, until the works on the masts have been finished, I cannot know for sure if there is an issue with the router or not.

What does anyone on here think I should do?

2 REPLIES 2
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hey @MrHeath,

Welcome to the Three Community, I'll do my best to help.

You are quite correct, the network issues could just be masking another issue, but these issues will make it harder to correctly diagnose a SIM/router fault.

Do you have mobile phone services with us or only this router? If so, are you seeing any similar issues on your phone?

Assuming your phone is from Three, or unlocked to all networks, are you able to test your router SIM in it? This could be handy in narrowing down if the issue is with the network/SIM rather than the router.

Let me know if this helps,
JonathanB

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

LindaS
Fledgling

Hi 

I also have this problem and live in Hampshire. I've only been with 3 broadband for a couple of months but was working ok yet for the last couple of weeks I can't get netflix etc in our office. Tried reloading the tv, reloading the network connection but nothing works. I get the spinning circle (occasionally it goes up to 25% but usually stays on 0%). Tested speed on Speed.com, it showed 9.4 and later 9.2. I take it this is not good! 

Linda