cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking about getting broadband

robertm1988
Active

I was just browsing mobile broadband products and it says they won't sell me the 5G home broadband device because it's not available in my area. Yet I have a phone that gets 5G if I stand in the window. But 4G or 4G+ or H+ indoors. Does the device not pick up the 4G signal if there's no 5G strong enough? Also I would not only be using it at my house, I would be bringing it with me when I stay at friends and family that don't have broadband. Does it have to be static, thought no phone line was needed.

4 REPLIES 4
sc1999
Local celebrity

3 only sell 5g broadband when they are confident that there is sufficient bandwidth and a strong enough signal. 5g on the phone requires less bandwidth than broadband so more people can connect to a limited bandwidth. I doubt that 3 would be happy marketing 5g if the signal is not strong enough to penetrate more if the house. If you had a good signal you could always get unlimited 5g for the phone and tether but it's very limited. I don't know if a 5g phone sim works in a mifi.

If you have a router, 4g or 5g, you can take wherever you want and it will work if 3 has broadband available where you are going.

The best thing to do is go onto 3's broadband page and register your interest in 5g. Get your mates to do the same.

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Yes a phone SIM will generally work fine in a MiFi or router. If it's a device we don't supply we may be limited in the support we can provide, but usually all the settings are automatically detected.

Here's the register your interest in 5G link.

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

robertm1988
Active

As of today my phone can pick up 5G indoors. I know it sounds like a coincidence, but how often do they update the broadband coverage pages so they can sell me it. I think they either fixed or upgraded a mast in my area.

sc1999
Local celebrity

Just because 5g is available on your phone is no guarantee that broadband will be available. Phones use less bandwidth than broadband and if the uptake of 5g on phones is too high then broadband is unlikely to be available. Best option it to register your interest and be patient.