cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voip And NR5103E

UnrealMachine35
Regular

I am trying to get my gigaset phone using voip service to connect to the internet...With my previous huawei router, the phone connects to the internet and voip provider flawlessly...but with the NR5103E...it wont connect to the voip service...can not see any options to enable sip support...any advice please?

11 REPLIES 11
PeteG
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hello, UnrealMachine35

That's an interesting question. My understanding is that these phones are pretty much self sufficient for the most part, and that they just need an ethernet connection to work usually, is that right? 

If I'm off with that assumption, could you fill me in a bit more about how these phones connect to your network? 

Pete. 

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

UnrealMachine35
Regular

Hi Pete.thanks for the reply.yea the portability of voiphones are amazing..landline wherever there is an Internet connection.

Yea so my phone has a base station which plugs into the back of the router via ethernet..then you setup your voip provider on the phone..using normally sip addresses..for instances I use voipfone..which the sip is sip.voipfone.net

Setup for my provider is as follows on link

https://www.voipfone.co.uk/General_Phone_Setup.php

In some lte routers..there is a specific feature you can enable if you have issues connecting to a voip provider.. but no such options are available with the nr5103e

UnrealMachine35
Regular

SIP ALG

this is the feature on routers that allow voip services to operate without connection issues.

this feature is available on most zyxel routers also.

is there any chance we can request this to be added to the router settings?as the nr5103e is classed as a home broadband router.....missing this feature.....given that we are moving away from pstn lines and more on to voip...this is a crucial feature that people need

UnrealMachine35
Regular

Sadly I might have to cancel the contract as no matter what..my voipfone won't connect with the NR5103E due to there being no voip sip settings and alg option..non three branded NR5103E has it..but strangly..for a router classed as home broadband..three have decided not to include this in the firmware.

If three truly want to offer a home broadband replacement..best not  strip an important feature such as this from your firmware.

UnrealMachine35
Regular

Well since three customer service abandoned this post with no follow up..cancelled my contract.

Home broadband as stated..but with no voip/sip support...makes the product not viable.

PSTN switchoff in sight..and when that happens..you need hardware that supports ALG Sip...or you simple can not transfer to voip services 

Shame

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @UnrealMachine35,

I'm really sorry to hear that you've cancelled your Broadband account. We do pass on all feedback about hardware and feature requests, but we can't guarantee that changes will be implemented.

My understanding is that there's not a particularly high demand from consumers to use this sort of service, and more and more people are switching solely over to mobile for their phone services, and don't necessarily need a landline, or VoIP equivalent. 

Thanks for being a Three Community member, we wish you all the best.

JonathanB

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

MandyH
Fledgling

I was looking into this as an option, as three home broadband has just become available in my area. However if there is no option for VoIP then it means it is not an option. 

Perhaps Three has not noticed that by 2025 BT are changing over to digital voice, which will require a BT broadband connection to work. Ie anyone with a BT landline will have to decide whether to stick with of change to BT for their broadband or look for an alternative. As BT is soo expensive, I would have happily switched to Three broadband if I were able to use VoIP. Im sure I am not alone in my thinking. 

This, unfortunately shows a complete lack of insight and foresight from Three. You would easily gain a lot more homeband customers if you, not only make it possibke for customers to use VoIP but advistise it as such, in direct competition with BTs suggested Broadband and digital voice packages, which they will be switching people to. Most people would not even me aware that such a thing is potentially possible, let alone ask for it specifically. 

Also, there are still a lot of older people in the population that don't necessarily use broadband,  but do make voicecalls and might be grateful to know that they could make unlimited calls using their normal landline handset (rather than a mobile) with a capped price of £20/month. 

I think Three need to think this through a lot more. I assume its because free landline calls could lead to less three credit and minutes being used from landlines. 

Is there at least an option for a customer to buy and use an alternative hub, that accomodates voip for their Three home broadband connection? 

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @MandyH,

Thanks for the feedback, I will ensure this is passed on. There's no requirement to use the hardware we supply, however it may limit the technical support that we can give you. Our Broadband devices use a SIM card just like a phone, so provided you can source an unlocked router which supports 5G, I don't see any reason why you couldn't supply your own router.

Please bear in mind that we don't test VoIP services on our side though, so we can't guarantee that we can support this sort of service, or help you troubleshoot any issues if you do choose to purchase any additional hardware.

Thanks,
Jonathan

BobF
Fledgling

There will be an increasing demand for people wanting to use VOIP to keep a landline number after the copper network is switched off.  I have been trying to get an Vonage HT801 adapter to work with a Three NR5103EV2 router.  It works flawlessly with both Virgin and Sky routers so it shouldn't be difficult to support these devices on Three.