cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Branding phones with SIM

markrich
Regular

I purchased a new unbranded factory-state phone some years ago. When the sim was inserted, Three took it upon themselves to apply a permanent splash screen, apps, settings and branding it has been impossible to remove since.

I have purchased a new phone but am reluctant to apply my existing sim because of the damage Three did in the past with my current one.

Does anyone know if Three still apply all their unremovable branding to personal handsets not purchased from them with their current SIM and eSIMs?

5 REPLIES 5
sc1999
Local celebrity

I bought a Samsung S21FE unlocked from Affordable Mobiles and 3 did not load anything on my phone. In the good old days some mobile networks tweaked android but I don't think they do it anymore as it's too complex.

markrich
Regular

I asked in the Three shop in Bristol, but they did not understand my question.

They suggested the phone would be branded, but I will not stand for that this time.  I don't believe there is anything in the terms and conditions to suggest they will permanently brand personal handsets with their branding if using one of their SIM cards.

sc1999
Local celebrity

I have had 2 3 sim card and there is not a Three logo in sight. I have searched the phone settings and the only mention of three is for the 2 apps. The same applies to Vodafone as I have one of their sims in the second slot.

markrich
Regular

You are lucky.

My phone has a flashy full-screen white animated three logo on startup, three apps were installed but removed, and about phone says "provided by three".

I tried to remove it by digging around with ADB Tools with help from the people at XDA, but alas, it was there to stay even following phone updates from Huawei.

It still worked with other SIMs from other providers but remained with the handset.

markrich
Regular

Speaking with Three they tell me I cannot use my personal new phone without Three installing branding and apps and managing the update schedules; essentially turning my personal property into theirs.

I have spoken with more than one hopeless telephone support person and waited the weeks between email conversations to confirm the same.

I know an esim on O2 does not brand a phone but they tell me I cannot have one.  The shop staff don't care or want to know how to help or how their sim and esims work.  I tried two shops in Bristol and they both told me they wouldn't help me.

I have used three since they began in the UK but they are doing everything they can to get rid of their own customers.