cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No SMS support for Apple Watch cellular

LuckyPower
Fledgling

Just got my Apple Watch setup on 3 and realised it's failing to send/receive SMS on its cellular connection...

I came across this thread while troubleshooting which demonstrates my experience I.E. Can make cellular calls even with the phone powered off but can't text or mirror SMS notifications while out of range (on cellular) even with the iPhone on and connected.

Seems like its Apple's fault for making it an awkward system but could be something that mobile carriers can work to implement. So out of interest - is this something 3 are aware of and/or working to resolve? I really hope so since I hate smartphones and want to exclusively use my watch!

Thanks, Alexandra

3 REPLIES 3
PeteG
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hello there.

It's a limitation that networks are aware of, and sadly not something we can work around. 

The Apple Watch can't receive texts, mms message, or messages/notifications from 3rd party apps while the iPhone is off, or not connected to a network. This is because the Watch doesn't pull the information directly, it instead relies on a connection to the iPhone which provides the information it needs.

Pete. 

LuckyPower
Fledgling

To clarify - this is specifically about SMS texts: the limitation being that while the iPhone is on the Watch doesn't receive normal texts through its cellular connection.

i.e. iPhone is left charging at home & connected but the Watch doesn’t receive texts.

This is particularly confusing since the Watch can send/receive phone calls and iMessages even with the iPhone turned off! Presumably through the eSim linked to my 3 account.

So the real thing I’m asking is why SMS texts can’t be routed through the 3 network like calls are? The thread I linked implies Apple and/or carriers rout them through iCloud by default - hence why specifically iMessages works but not texts to other operating systems!

Thanks, Alexandra

MintLuc
Fledgling

Your Watch should be able to send and receive SMS if your iPhone is switched on and connected to the network. My Apple Watch is on Three and I can do this. If yours is not working, could it be down to poor coverage, either where you are with the Watch, or where the iPhone is?

The reason calls can be made/received on the Watch even when the iPhone is off, is that, behind the scenes, the Watch actually has a different phone number (which you will never need to know). When someone calls your (main) phone number, Three's network both sends the call to your phone, and at the same time, forwards it to the Watch's number. Then when you pick up the call on one of the devices, it stops ringing the other one. When you make a call from the Watch, Three present your main number as the caller ID, even though you're actually making the call from another number.

I suspect the reason SMS messages are dealt with the way they are (relayed via the iPhone) is that, if the mobile network was to forward them to the Watch's number, you could end up with a situation where you have duplicate messages coming through to the Watch/iPhone at different times. For example, you could decide to turn your iPhone off and just use your Watch for a few days, during which you receive several SMS messages. Then, when you turn the iPhone back on, you'd have all those messages you've already read / dealt with pinging through on the iPhone. I also suspect the SMS centre software used by the networks is not designed to present a different sender number to the one the message is actually being sent from, nor to take an incoming message and distribute it to multiple destinations.

iMessage just uses a data connection to Apple's servers.. once you've done the initial setup on your iPhone (which associates your [main] phone number with your Apple ID), it's pretty irrelevant which devices you are using to send/receive.

There is a way to use an Apple Watch as a standalone device, which allows you to send/receive SMS messages direct on the Watch, without a paired iPhone needing to be switched on and online. That's using Apple's Family Setup feature. This is designed for people who may want an Apple Watch, but don't have an iPhone. A family member uses their iPhone to do the initial setup of the Watch, but the Watch has its own separate number, and calls and messages are not shared between the iPhone and the Watch. Truphone are one of the few providers of this service. A downside of Family Setup is that a number of Watch features are disabled, including Apple Pay. You would also need to use a different Apple ID on your Watch to the one you're using on your iPhone.