cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about cooling off period

Aeraa
Fledgling

Hello, on Friday 19th April 2024 I upgraded from Samsung S22 ultra to Samsung S24 ultra. I was in a store on Friday looking to upgrade my phone and I wasn't 100% set on upgrading to the 24 ultra but I felt like I couldn't say no (I'm not trying to blame the person who worked there I just have a hard time saying no to people in general) and decided to go ahead with it. I'm regretting my decision to upgrade to this device now because for what I use the phone for most of the time is just watching YouTube videos and general browsing to me it just feels like it's the same phone I previously had and im not really happy or satisfied with the phone. I don't really know how the cooling off period works 100%. Is it possible to go back and return the device for something different? Or could someone please explain what options I have, thanks.

18 REPLIES 18
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Aeraa,

I'm sorry to hear about this situation. Did you manage to resolve this in the meantime? To my understanding, the store wouldn't be able to recover your old phone if it was traded in, but I don't think this has any effect on your right to return the upgraded phone.

Did you manage to get any help with this since last week?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

Aeraa
Fledgling

Well apparently because I've traded my old device in there's nothing they can do, they also said even if that wasn't the case it would only have been able to be a like for like replacement of the same device so no luck unfortunately 

Paddiewack
Superstar

If I’m honest that seems slightly unfair and I’m sorry you’ve found yourself in this situation. 

Aeraa
Fledgling

Yeah I was really disappointed and a bit shocked. As soon as I said I just wasn't happy and asked if it was possible to return I was met with an instant sorry nothing we can do, then she started telling me "if I was you I'd be really happy with the upgrade blah blah blah. She made me feel like I was being ungrateful or something which annoyed me. I'm just confused as to why the cooling off period even exists if they won't even let you exercise the right to use it.

Paddiewack
Superstar

Obviously consumer law dictates that the cooling off period exists but in your case;going by what you’ve said there appear to be anomalies. You could try raising a complaint via the Three homepage if you felt strongly enough about it.

Aeraa
Fledgling

Probably just gonna have to bite the bullet this time around, today's the 14th day. Might just try pay it off in a few months and start again.

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

That's really disappointing to hear @Aeraa.

I'd recommend to try getting in touch. You should be connected with our Welcome team on call or chat.

They will generally ask if you've been in touch with the store who sold the device in the 1st instance, but they should be able to arrange a return and put you onto a rolling SIM plan which matches your old rate, and then you can choose an alternative upgrade once the phone is back.

Any issues with them getting this sorted, please let me know and I'll be happy to get this checked out further.

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

MZone
Key player

Really shocked by this!

MZone
Key player

I’m sure you will be fine as long as it’s it re-sellable condition.