cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can’t make calls whilst in USA

vickilewis626
Fledgling

Hi we’re in the USA on holiday and tried to call home. The call keeps failing and says Number not recognised. 
Data roaming and texting working as normal. 

I have checked and it says international roaming is activated.

Any idea?

12 REPLIES 12
Ayshea
Fledgling

I am having a similar issue I brought the 16gb data sim and keep getting a message that I do not have enough credit for this call even though I have unlimited calls

edit- for anyone else with my issue, just found out the unlimited calls seem to only be to uk numbers

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Ayshea,

That's correct. Your allowances work as they would in the UK, so calling a local US number is chargeable. Check the rates for roaming in the USA here. Hope this helps.

JonathanB 

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

PeteG
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hey, Vicki. 

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues making calls while in the USA.

It's possible that you're having issues due to the 3G service being switched off in the USA on some networks. Calls can be made over the 4G network, but not all devices support that yet. 

If you head over here you can check the compatibility for your device. If your device isn't on the list, you might not be able to make normal phone calls while there. You can still make calls using 3rd party services though, like What's App, 

I hope this helps.

Pete.

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi vickilewis626,

Going by the fact that texts and data are working, it sounds like roaming is active on the account. I'd check that you are dialling in international format as this may be stopping the call. For a UK number drop the 0 and use +44, so a mobile will begin +447.

Let me know if that helps.

JonathanB

zzz
Fledgling

Having the same problem. Strangely partner has no problems (also on three, calling uk, using correct dialling code, 4g etc)

zzz
Fledgling

I went to chat today - switched network manually (it was automatically connected to at&t but they told me to try t-mobile). Managed to make a call.

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hey zzz,

Thanks so much for sharing this, this solution may help other customers in the future.

We generally recommend using automatic network selection, but manual selection helps when roaming, if for example, a local network is experiencing some sort of fault.

Remember to switch back to automatic when you get home.

JonathanB

Bisto
Fledgling

Worked on T-mobile for 15 days of 18 day holiday - then unable to register on T-mobile network? Support team could not fix it, so unable to make calls for the rest of my holiday. AT&T data was great, but unable to make calls. Support said to use verizon too, but that also failed? AT&T seems the best for just data

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Bisto,

I'm sorry to hear that you were struggling to stay connected on your recent trip. Perhaps this could relate to the 3G switch off activities taking place across the USA? 

I'd check if your phone supports calls over 4G (many slightly older handsets only support data over 4G), you may also need to check this is on in the settings. Usually the option will be called "4G supervoice", "VOLTE", or "voice over 4G". 

Hope this helps.
JonathanB