cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamic IP address

Prydd21
Active

I need a public IP address, how do I go about this please?

26 REPLIES 26
PeteG
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hey, Prydd21.

Are you a Home Broadband user? Or are you on a mobile phone? 

Pete.

Prydd21
Active

I have a 5G router that is on CGNAT,?so, as it shares the IP address with others I can’t port forward, which means I can’t contact my alarm panel remotely. This was not mentioned in the contract. It’s a deal breaker.

PeteG
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

We don't normally use CGNAT on our Home Broadband connections. 

If you got your router from a 3rd party company, or changed the network settings on it, it might not be configured correctly. 

The device needs to be configured to use the "3internet" APN. If you got the router from a 3rd party, pop into the admin page and update the setting. 
If you got the router from us, you can try updating the setting, or you can complete a factory reset which will set it back to 3internet by default. 

Pete. 

Prydd21
Active

Pete

i am afraid you are mid informed.

it has already been established that 3 do use CGNAT, it’s been their policy for some time.

I got the router through 3, I am still in the cooling off period. I had a long discussion with 3 customer services yesterday and they got back to me to say they can’t give me a dynamic IP address.

it has nothing to do with the set up.

sorry to bring your response down but that’s the truth.

PeteG
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

There seems to be some misunderstanding, Prydd21. 

When it comes to home broadband, you are able to get a non CGNAT public facing IP address. I use this at home myself, and there are multiple members here on the Community who can say the same. 

Your original post was asking about a public IP address. But you've mentioned now that you spoke to the team about a Dynamic IP address. These aren't the same thing. I'm not sure why the team advised you that we can't give you a Dynamic IP address, as the IP address you're given should be public, and is dynamic. It will change periodically, usually after a reboot, disconnect, or after the DHCP lease time expired. 

What we cannot give you is a Static IP address. I'm sorry if that's something you really need, but it's not something that can be provided on Three Broadband.

Pete.

Prydd21
Active

Pete
You need to speak with your team.

It is really bad when advice from the same company conflicts and it does not fill me with confidence.

They are resolute they can not and will not give a public/ dynamic IP ADDRESS, PERIOD!!
I have wasted hours speaking to people who have a difficulty in understanding my queens English and I have difficulty in understanding them.
If you look on ISPREVIEW forums, ZeroTier forums, and Tailscale forums you will see what a problem people are having with Three 5G routers, namely you CANNOT port forward on them.
You CANNOT run SELFMON APP to control alarm panels remotely because you share an IP address and you CANNOT port forward on a shared IP address.
Simply rebooting does absolutely nothing when the IP is shared which is referred to as CGNAT.
I’ve exhausted numerous software and forums to try to enable this to work and if you think a reboot will work I’m sorry to advise you it will not.
Regards
Bob
Prydd21
Active

I am at this moment speaking to the technical department of Three, they are confirming that they cannot provide a NON CGNAT IP address. They cannot give me a dynamic / public IP address that is solely for me, this IS NOT A STATIC IP, This is a non shared IP address.

The IP address that three provide is a shared IP address and CANNOT have port forwarding. If you have CCTV and / or Alarm panel that require port forwarding it will not work for you.

I am now trying to cancel my account within the 30 day cooling off and the product is not fit for purpose.they are asking me to call back later, I have said no, ill wait, they are insisting the queue to leave is at least 15 mins.

They are now refusing to put me through to the cancellations department and advising me to make an official complaint.

Prydd21
Active

Because they are refusing to put me through to cancellations, I have just stopped future payments with my bank. I have been forced to do this unfortunately.

this is a record of my efforts to cancel the Three contract as I fear they will not remember my phone call.

PeteG
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

It's disappointing to hear you're looking to cancel it, but if it doesn't fit your needs, I understand why you'd want to. 

The returns team should be able to help in getting the account cancelled and the router returned to us if you ordered your router on the phone or online. 

If you took it from a local Three store, you'd need to head back there to return the device and get the account closed down.