cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have an old HTC Explorer - WiFi Calling

RJC_
Regular

I have an old HTC Explorer and due to lack of normal signal strength looked into WiFi calling as I have a network etc.

BUT I cannot find anything labelled WiFi Calling - can the HTC Explorer use this function - if so HOW?

Best solution
Best solution
RJC_
Regular

Mine shows HTC on turn on then a big upside down red comma (which I assume in Vodaphone. It started off with a Vodaphone Contract but I retired over 6 years ago and went to 3 PayAsYouGo. So whether locked or unlocked completely do not know - it works which is the important bit. Nowadays the main use is SMS sending logon codes for online bank etc - so WiFi calling would maybe be useful. 

Incidentally - yes I have (I think) a Micro Sim BUT suspect it can be made into a Nano one,

Thanks

View solution in conversation

8 REPLIES 8
Kevbur123
Active

I have found the setting only shows up if the network has OKed your device. I am having the same issue regarding volte and the two volte and WiFi calling seem to be related. There is a lot of conflicting information on the matter eg phone needs to be from three you need to be pay monthly. 

sc1999
Local celebrity

I have a Samsung S21FE which I   bought unlocked and it frequently defaults to WiFi calling. As for volte I have no clue as my signal ranges from H to 5g, although 5g is there for a few seconds before fading away.

sc1999
Local celebrity

PS. There is a setting under mobile networks that is checked VoLTE over 4g network but I have no idea if it's possible to find out how many calls I have made that way.

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hey @Kevbur123,

I'm sorry to hear you've been running into conflicting info on this. There's not a definitive answer, but if your phone was originally supplied by another provider then it may have custom software for that network preventing it from connecting to our VoLTE.

If it's a phone that was originally supplied unlocked, or from Three can you let me know the model and software version? That way I can check if it's a fault, or that the phone isn't supported for VoLTE on our network,

Thanks,
JonathanB

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @RJC_,

Welcome to the Three Community. From what I can see online the HTC Explorer pre-dates Wi-Fi calling.

With current Androids they'll usually support Wi-Fi calling as long as they're purchased directly from Three, or are sold unlocked with "open market" software. 

If you purchase a phone from another provider, then have it unlocked it may have software specific to that provider, so we can't guarantee Wi-Fi calling will work in that situation. For this reason, I'd caution against buying a 2nd hand phone without checking it was originally from Three, or sold originally unlocked.

The same can apply to VoLTE which is a lower frequency of 4G signal that works better indoors. As the Explorer is a 3G rather than 4G device you may find that a newer phone will pick up a better signal due to the availability of 4G. Here's a link to our Coverage checker

Hope this helps clear things up a bit.
JonathanB

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

RJC_
Regular

Hi JonathanB.

Sounds like my phone is from before Wifi Calling - so does not include it etc. I assume it was/is unlocked but how would I know.

Also, yes as is 3G I realise it will need replacing at some point. Can I just place the present SIM in a newer phone and go from there - so same number and options etc but now 4G rather than 3G as may be a temporary short cut to signal level and solution to end of 3G which will happen sooner or later?

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hey @RJC_,

Yeah based on everything I've been able to gather it's not a supported feature for that phone. I noticed on your other post you mentioned it was originally a Vodafone PAYG, so I'd imagine that you had it unlocked some point before or upon joining 3.

Generally phones that are initially locked and have a specific provider's software are branded, either physically, or they show the network's logo when you first switch them on.

As far as the SIMs go, ours don't need replaced to take advantage of 4/5G, although the sizes have changed from Micro to Nano for most phones, so you might still need a replacement.

We swapped to triple format SIMs that push out to the required size a few years ago, if you've already got one of these there'll be a little perforated outline indicating the part that pushes out. You can keep the outer frame with these in case you need to "downgrade" again at a future stage.

If you've got one of the older micro SIMs that can't be downsized, either pop into a Three store with ID, or fill out the replacement SIM form if you'd prefer for it to be posted.

Let me know if you need any other help or clarifications with this. 🙂

JonathanB

Best solution
RJC_
Regular

Mine shows HTC on turn on then a big upside down red comma (which I assume in Vodaphone. It started off with a Vodaphone Contract but I retired over 6 years ago and went to 3 PayAsYouGo. So whether locked or unlocked completely do not know - it works which is the important bit. Nowadays the main use is SMS sending logon codes for online bank etc - so WiFi calling would maybe be useful. 

Incidentally - yes I have (I think) a Micro Sim BUT suspect it can be made into a Nano one,

Thanks