cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile 4G Broadband blocking access to VPN

K3ZA84
Fledgling

I have been using Three mobile broadband for over a year now, i never had problems connecting my laptop to the company i work for VPN server. Now i am unable to connect at all 😞 The IT support at work have investigated and said it is three boardband blocking it. How do i get around this without changing my broadband provider? I work from home on a full time basis so need to connect to a VPN

16 REPLIES 16
Avondale
Rising star

@K3ZA84 

If you search this forum for VPN, you will find that it is a frequently asked question !

And there are some answers too - please let us know how you get on. . 

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @K3ZA84,

We don't block any VPNs to my knowledge, we totally appreciate how necessary they are for working from home these days. 

Quite a few users have found the fix on thread FYI : IPv6 Prevented VPN Connection has helped, as some VPNs and devices aren't connecting over IPv6.

Which VPN service/software do you use? What are you experiencing no connection at all, or an intermittent/frequent disconnection?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

DorsetColin
Regular

So about a month ago, overnight, I canoot access my VPN over any 3 network even though I've been using it for 6 months. Customer service is useless, they just keep telling me my internet is working properly. No one hears, or listens to what I'm saying let alone tries to help.

I have three different 3 internet connections. 2 home broadband, one for me, one for the kids. My mobile is on unlimited data on the 3 network. Overnight, for no reason, I can no longer access my works VPN throuh ANY 3 network connection regardles of where I am in the country. My works VPN is working and up to date in every aspect.

Guess what? Use GiffGaff or ANY other internet provider and it works perfectly, first time, every time. 3 network, on multiple 3 connections, has completely blocked my works VPN and NO ONE is trying to help.

For over a decade of being with 3, it's time to move on.

DorsetColin
Regular

And no, the atricle everyone keeps talking about with APN etc DOES NOT HELP.

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

HI @DorsetColin,

Which VPN provider are you having issues connecting to?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

DorsetColin
Regular

My workplace VPN. No it is not their issue, they are up to date and it works perfectly everywhere else, for everyone else as long as they don't use 3. Now let me explain this just ONE MORE TIME so maybe, just maybe, someone at 3 might actually f****** listen.

About 2 months ago, overnight for no reason, my workplace VPN stopped being able to connect through ANY 3 network, overnight. Literally, ANY 3 network, overnight.

1. It will not connect through my 3 home broadband.
2. It will not connect through my partner's 3 home broadband.
3. It will not connect through my 3 network mobile hotspaot. 
ALL of these are unlimited data and ALL used to allow VPN connection.
4. ANY OTHER NETWORK WORKS PERFECTLY AND I CAN CONNECT TO MY WORKPLACE VPN. 
Giffgaff? Works perfectly.
My neighbours fibre broadband wifi? (Thanks for sharing) Works perfectly.
My workplace public wifi network? (yes, VPN through their public hotspot) Works perfectly.
Any bar/pub/cafe wifi? Works perfectly.
ANY 3 CONNECTION? DOES NOT CONNECT.

I've lost track of the number of times I've had to explain this to some d****ss on the end of a phone who just goes through the "we'll test your line" crap and then tells me there's nothing wrong with my line. It's not my line, IT'S THREE'S ENTIRE NETWORK.

Oh, and the real p***er? This all started just at the same time 3 started pushing Business Broadband services. What an effin surprise.

Yes, I'm irate. Yes I'm shouting. Yes I'm changing my provider as soon as I possibly can.

RobinB
Fledgling

I have the same problem on all 3 devices I have tried on the three network.  Presumably the lack of response to DorsetColin means that Three agree the only option is to change provider?

whitters1977
Regular

I am having exactly the same issue.  Suddenly overnight two days ago I am unable to connect to my work VPN from both my three devices (5g router and mobile hotspot)  Strange its happened just outside my cooling off period.  just to eliminate any issues on my work Infrastructure I asked my neighbour if I could jump on their sky broadband to check.  Guess what I connected just fine.  I have rebooted everything a few times. to no avail.  This is definitely a 3 issue and I will be raising  complaint as the whole reason I use their devices is for work. I work on the Infrastructure team in my company so I know for a fact it is not an issue on our side.  I will probably hit a brick wall with Three's customer service after reading the poor responses on various threads on here

DorsetColin
Regular

I gave up. I have fibre now instead. More cost but better service.