cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FYI : IPv6 Prevented VPN Connection

Anvil_Iron
Rising star

My wife uses VPN for work and one day she wasn't able to connect. I checked the router (Zyxel NR5103E) web-config and noticed the Primary/Secondary DNSv6 server addresses info were present which weren't before.

I tried disabling IPv6 in the WAN and LAN settings but internet service stopped.

I then enabled manual APN mode and changed from 3internet to Three.co.uk and restarted the router. After restart, the IPv6 info was N/A and the VPN was able to connect. VPN also connected when APN was set to 3internet with manual APN enabled.

The strange thing was when APN Manual Mode was disabled and router reset, IPv6 info was displayed. It looks like the router was obtaining IPv6 and IPv4 info from Three if manual APN mode is disabled. This could be the PDP Type being set to IPv4/IPv6 automatically by Three where as in manual APN mode, I have it set to IPv4 only.

APN_3Internet.JPGAPN_Three.JPG

54 REPLIES 54
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for sharing this @Anvil_Iron, I'll pass the feedback on.

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

We're also looking into some issues with connecting to some VPN services in general. I'm not sure this is necessarily the same problem, but can you let me know which VPN provider she was having difficulties connecting to?

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

Anvil_Iron
Rising star

Hi Jonathan, It's GlobalProtect by Palo Alto Networks.

bhavinnp
Fledgling

Hi Guys,

Thanks Anvil_Iron , this fixed my issues since the update of the new firmware. I had Major issues with wired LAN devices. My Eufy, Philips Hue and wifi mesh APs all stopped working. I wasn’t sure what what was the issues as my setup is complex. I noticed that wired devices didn’t all get ip addresses from dhcp, had to manually setup an ip on wifi mesh for the disc to connect. Was wired as even directly connecting the some devices to the Lan port didn’t work but a laptop did. I also noticed a lag on my vpn for work (Meraki teleworker device). The  Nintendo Switch didn’t want to connect to Wi-Fi.

zoobill
Fledgling

Thanks for posting this fix!

I only realized that my router firmware had been upgraded when my wifi printer became inaccessible and the network map section of my pc audit software (Belarc Advisor) output had become blank!

I used your method to disable IPv6 and now I can see my home network again. Many thanks!

NG
Regular

For the ignorant among us (me), could you please detail how to set APN (whatever that is) to manual and how to disable IPv6?  I assume only from the desktop app, not the phone app.  On the desktop, currently under System Info, the WAN and LAN IPv6 shows as empty but I don't know how to change the 2 settings...  Many thanks in advance!

NG_0-1689595780520.png

NG
Regular

Update: Anvil_Iron is the man!!!

To add a little detail to help the more ignorant like me:

First, log in to the hub from a browser ideally on your laptop (or I guess phone), not the hub app. (ie, 192.168.1.1/login, logging in as admin)

1) under top-right burger menu-->Network Settings-->Broadband-->Cellular APN, I set to manual so it ended up as follows:

NG_3-1689597772547.png

And under Burger menu-->Network Settings-->Home Networking-->Lan Setup, click on the 1st APN setting in the list (on the right-hand side where you click to edit), then

NG_2-1689597717197.png

I then rebooted the hub, confirmed settings remained as above, and rebooted my devices (including network switch).  Audio player and speaker when connected to my network switch  do show up on hub app both under Wi-Fi and LAN as expected.

... AND I'M NOW LISTENING TO MY PINK FLOYD ALBUM ONCE AGAIN!!!!!

Thanks again Anvil_iron!!

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks @NG, I'm sure the step by step and screenshots will be really helpful for other community members. 🙂

jonalx7
Fledgling

Thanks for that info 

It’s worked a treat sorted the issue in minutes.