cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No reception after returning from abroad

Darren1
Fledgling

Hi,

I have returned from Spain and now have no reception on my mobile. I can connect with wifi but have no mobile data. 3 have sent me a new sim card but it is not working, I have also tried it in another phone.

I have a 'not registered on network' message.

I have tried leaving the phone off for 5 minutes and turning on flight mode. Can anybody please help?

7 REPLIES 7
linewait
Regular

Did you have any problems while in spain?

I had trouble travelling abroad the other week, when I became unable to connect to the network at all. I believe it may be something related to the 3 system thinking you have exceeded some kind of spending limit, thanks to wrong calculation of data you've used outside of allowance.

Mine started working again once back in the UK. See thread here

https://community.three.co.uk/t5/Network/Don-t-rely-on-Three-quot-go-roam-quot-services-abroad-data-...

Darren1
Fledgling

My phone didn't work when abroad. It only works on the lte/2g/3g connection in the UK not 4g or 5g and my understanding is that Spain only has 4g and 5g so I presumed that this was why it wasn't connecting. 

JohnD
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hey @Darren1 

That's really frustrating. The message that you've advised would indicate that the APN/network settings on your device need to be reset. 

Android - 

1. Tap Settings.
  2. Tap More.
  3. Tap Mobile Networks.
  4. Tap Access Point Names.
  5. Tap Menu (3 vertical dots)
  6. Tap Reset to Default.
  7. Wait for the screen to display Restoring default APN settings and Reset Default APN settings completed.

Apple -

1. Settings.
  2. Mobile
  3. Mobile Data Network
  4. Tap Reset Settings.

You'll need to re-connect to any Wifi Networks, however, this should get you connected.

Thanks

JD

Darren1
Fledgling

Hi John, 

Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried this but it hasn't helped. Do you have any other suggestions? 

Just to mention that my phone didn't work whilst in Spain. It only connects to lte/2g/3g in the UK and my understanding is that Spain now uses 4g/5g, I presumed that this was the reason for it not connecting. 

Dann2000
Regular

Hi, sorry to hijack your post but wanted to know if this was resolved?

I've just returned from abroad and I can no longer connect to Internet (outside of WiFi). The best I can get is H+

nwharmby
Fledgling

I had a very similar problem. I went to Berlin over the weekend. Roaming and mobile data working perfectly over there. Got home and mobile data was not working. Worked fine on WiFi.

Tried everything from several threads, and rest absolutely everything, nothing. Called Customer service and tried a couple of things, still nothing.

Got really flummoxed when I swapped my sim with a friend’s phone (iPhone). His sim worked in my phone, and my sim in his 🤦‍♂️. Put my sim back in my phone and same problem occurred.

Finally, took it to the Three Shop and they sorted it in 2 mins. I have a VPN installed and it was constantly trying to connect, essentially blocking the mobile data from connecting. Something to do with it being in Berlin settings and my phone being on uk. Phone didn’t like it.

You have to DELETE the VPN profile, not just switch it off, or the problem continues. I’ve reinstalled it and all is fine. Hope this helps.

Big up to Nathan at the Warrington store. 

EliasK
Fledgling

Any luck with this issue? My and my partner's mobile data and general network isn't work properly since returning from Morocco (where we were using their local sims).

The data either doesn't work at all or takes a lifetime to load. And calls are also not working.

I've tried the resetting, on and off and even contacted 3 but the issue persists.

I don't have an VPN.

Any solutions to this?