cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Omni Directional aerial

Scotchydog
Fledgling

Hi guys

My fixed broadband line is poor 27mbps and can’t go any higher until the lines are upgraded anywhere between now and Dec 28 🤣

I’ve gone down the route of 5G broadband and I’m sure we only have 1 three 5G mast (no other network covers outside) which is currently 1.13 miles away and can visibly see where abouts it is due to me being higher up and where the mast is also higher up with a slight valley in between - I get 5G outside on my mobile and on a nice day the router I have works when put wedged in the Velux on my 3rd floor 🤣

I’ve bought an omni directional antenna 4x4 to be mounted on gable end of third floor on a bracket positioned above the roof, should this pick up a decent 5G signal all of the time? as when the router picks up 5G I get between 150 - 750 but when it comes up 4G I get between 0.5 and 15

i will trial it from inside tomorrow when the SMA to RS9 leads come

would the omni be fine with this distance I also researched another 3 mast was planned near a heritage site 400 metres away but got rejected so I’m hoping another one pops up closer soon  (opposite side of where the current mast is to me)

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

From my (limited) knowledge I would have thought a directional rather than an omnidirectional aerial would be better. Pointed line of sight at the 5g mast would in theory reduce or eliminate the encroachment of 4g which you mentioned. 
I’m stressing this is only a layman’s opinion but I guess all you can do is give your proposed set up a go and see what happens.

I would think it would also depend upon which direction the mast radiation is focused.

I genuinely wish you well and would be really interested in how you get on.

Officina-red
Involved

Everything I have read says it can be very difficult to get any improvement, the length and quality of the cables can even make things worse, it seems people more expert than me recommended an outdoor router instead of using a aerial, its well worth having a read of https://www.ispreview.co.uk/talk/forums/mobile-broadband-and-fixed-wireless.106/ there are helpful members, who could give good advice. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good point about the cables as they will of course increase the resistance.

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Yeah this seems to be a common theme to my understanding too. We don't source external antennas ourselves. In simple terms any signal gains tend to turn into speed loss on the way down and back up the cable for these.

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.