cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming charges whilst data roaming turned off

bcracknell
Fledgling

I was on holiday in the US last month and had data roaming turned off before I even left the UK. At no point did I turn my data roaming on. Three texted me randomly at 3 points during my trip saying hello and welcome to the USA, outlining the costs associated with using my phone whilst in the USA. These texts were not telling me I was using my data, just letting me know I could. I've just received my bill to find I've been charged 3x £5 plus VAT for roaming services whilst in the USA. I can see on my bill that these supposed usages were really tiny amounts of data, <10MB. When I tried to dispute these charges, stating that I had my date roaming turned off the entire time,  I was told there was no way the system could be incorrect. However, clearly, the system is wrong if I can be charged tiny amounts of data usage whilst my data roaming is turned off. Please can you advise what I can do in this situation? 

201 REPLIES 201
caterham2002
Fledgling

I had the same issue in Brazil in January 2024 with data turned off on an iPhone SE running iOS 17.

10 occasions where minimal (1-10Kb) of data usage triggered 10 x £5 daily data charges. I suspect 10 reconnections to the network (at about the time of day my battery died and was recharged or poor signal) triggered the 10 x Three texts "Your daily roaming charge is....". 

I contacted Three via Chat and had a very helpful guy. After listening calmly to my explanation he got it and initially offered a 50% refund. After 'further explanantion' he gave me 100% but couldn't come up with an explanation.

I'd love to know what causes this (any Three techs on here?). In the meantime I'll just keep checking my bill each month - which is worth doing anyway.

carlodacas
Fledgling

Hi I am have the same exact issue roaming off. 

But charged for 0.0009 mb and so on. 

Please help 

jkasab
Regular

*Ask what your credit limit is set to - mine was £150!**

Three is 100% deceiving customers. I am sorry you have had this experience, I have had ongoing issues since Feb with wrongful data roaming charges - despite having my spent cap set to £0, mobile data and roaming disabled and each individual app turned off in mobile data settings (IPhone 13). On all occasions I have either turned my phone off and on or it it has died and when charged I received a daily roaming charge text.  In some instances, I have incurred these charges at 2am or later when I have been asleep! These times have appeared on my bill as 0.0009MB which I am sure isn't even enough to access an app or the internet?!

I have escalated this numerous times on Three live chat, asking if there is anything else I or they can do to prevent this charges, each time I have been assured there is nothing to do/I can do & will not be charged. 

I wasn't until late March that I was informed my credit limit was to set to £150, not visible from what I can see in the App. Very deceiving from Three, with the occasional credit of £2 or £5 credited hours into the chat, it does not come close to what I have been wrongfully charged. It takes hours of communicating to be told this credit is in "goodwill' or 'just for you, a loyal Three customer'. They say they cannot do this more than once - despite this being a justified refund for incorrect charges!

Appalling. I've since looked into early termination of my contract - of course that wouldn't be simple. I have been given three different amounts for my early termination fee, differs via email, text & live chat.

Best of luck!

AtnEgr
Fledgling

I also have the same issue. This needs fixing!!! I am getting charged for 0.0009mb even though my data roaming is switched off.

Natalie01
Fledgling

Hi all

I’ve recently returned from Peru and Ecuador. Whilst in Peru I received these ‘daily roaming charges’. 0.0009mb for each text received from Three £5 charge. 
I was refunded half the costs incurred (7.50£) Thanks for the explanation from free3 as this makes a lot of sense about the complexities of systems using data outside of toggle being off for roaming and WiFi calling.
Strange that this is only for Three customers though and does not affect their other partners like Smarty. 
I will be monitoring this thread for any solutions to the issue or Three being able to investigate their end and being able to see if something can be worked out without having to disable the three sim completely. Which is a safety issue when wanting to make calls (911/999 for example). 
I won’t be using Three outside of Europe again whilst this is ongoing and won’t be renewing my contract at end period either as I want to prioritise roaming abroad. 

MZone
Maestro

@JonathanB Has there been any update/solution to this issue after you requested several examples from members including myself that have been passed up to the tech team to look into further. 

IBR17XVII
Active

As per earlier in the thread I wouldn’t even bother raising the issue with livechat, just go straight to the complaints procedure.

My livechat resulted in a referral to the relevant department for “investigation” but was completed within a few hours saying the charge was correct as I’d used data. This was despite me linking them to this thread. 

Absolutely laughable. 

IBR17XVII
Active

Is anyone getting anywhere with their complaints about this? I'm certainly not.

"I understand that you’re looking for more information relating to the bill and the Daily Roaming Charge that you have been charged.

I have reviewed your account and can see that 

. This credit is applied as per the daily roaming charge applied in the last bill which is from 3rd Feb till 10th Feb 2024. 

. As per the roaming policy, customer will be charged £2 per day for Go Roam in Europe destinations, and £5 per day in Go Roam Around the World destinations to unlock the allowances. 

. This is a business decision and cannot be changed. Hence the charges reflecting in your last bill are correct because your phone was switched on also connected to the network hence the daily roaming charge got triggered.

. If you do not want to get any charge in future while roaming, we request you to call us to remove the international roaming facility permanently. If you want to keep the Roaming facility available for emergency, then you have to make sure that the phone is switched OFF or on flight mode and use only local wifi. As soon as you your phone will get connected to international network, it will trigger a charge.

. We also identified that the same issue was raised from your side in September 2023 and waiver was applied at that time also and clear explanation was provided.

. Unfortunately, we are unable to provide any further credits for the Roaming charge incurred in October and November 2023.

To resolve the issue, we request you to use the services abroad only when required or in emergency as we will not be able to offer any more waivers for the Roaming charges."

ycantyoufix
Regular

Anyone have an update on this? 

im travelling and killing my ability to send texts or make calls if I need to. I got to a dispute end with three but haven’t had the time to go to ombudsmen with my complaint.

everyone at three is clueless and they seem unwilling to fix this issue.

IBR17XVII
Active

No update as far as I know.

I have (finally) got a full refund but all they keep saying to me is "switch off data roaming". They take absolutely no responsibility for it whatsoever.