cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming charges whilst data roaming turned off

bcracknell
Fledgling

I was on holiday in the US last month and had data roaming turned off before I even left the UK. At no point did I turn my data roaming on. Three texted me randomly at 3 points during my trip saying hello and welcome to the USA, outlining the costs associated with using my phone whilst in the USA. These texts were not telling me I was using my data, just letting me know I could. I've just received my bill to find I've been charged 3x £5 plus VAT for roaming services whilst in the USA. I can see on my bill that these supposed usages were really tiny amounts of data, <10MB. When I tried to dispute these charges, stating that I had my date roaming turned off the entire time,  I was told there was no way the system could be incorrect. However, clearly, the system is wrong if I can be charged tiny amounts of data usage whilst my data roaming is turned off. Please can you advise what I can do in this situation? 

179 REPLIES 179
IBR17XVII
Active

IME as soon as I said I was going to the Ombudsman they refunded the whole amount.

It took a few times of back & forth though.

atommyk
Active

This is all just too complicated in my point of view. Having set the spend cap to 0 (or close to) and roaming off my three account shows I am able to call uk numbers from abroad but when I'm trying to do that I cannot - I get a recorded message that my spend cap does not allow it. Previously, when changing the spend cap, I get billed for these 0.0009kb data transfers at 2am. To me, these makes the mobile connection unusable when abroad. The main selling points for being with Three (no frills, cost effective, no headache when abroad) have all evaporated and I'll be looking to join O2 as soon as possible. Even though the monthly bill will be higher, sanity will be preserved by not having to spend hours with Three support. 

LL63
Fledgling

Agree. I’m dealing with a parent in end of life care atm in Australia & the last thing I wish to be doing is spending hours! on webchat to 3 Support. 

As soon as I landed in Sydney 2 weeks ago I received the msg re roaming charges despite Data Roaming being switched off & spending cap set to £0. Just waiting to see what roaming charges they try to slug me with this month.  

One thing is certain - as soon as I get back to London I’ll be leaving 3. 

slbarron23
Regular

I opened another complaint since they closed mine after trying to call me once. Said again I must have used it and as the bill had not yet been paid they couldn’t do anything anyway. Then when they realised I had already left three said there was no way to refund me anyway! Asked if they could close the complaint, I said no since it wasn’t resolved. Randomly got an email yesterday refund £5.45 (my charges this month were £8 +Vat) 

I’m on o2 now and only paying £8 a month for 40gb plus free eu roaming 

atommyk
Active

That's amazing, where did you find that deal? I can only find SIMO deals for £15+ on O2 (still better than having to spend hours with Three support if that gets rid of the roaming issues...)

slbarron23
Regular

I went through uswitch - just checked and still some great o2 deals on there!

atommyk
Active

Ha! Thanks very much for that recommendation, will have a look 

markieboy7
Regular

posted here a few times about our issues. Flew London to Seoul via Munich. removed SIM cards in Munich, switched phones off. arrived in Seoul and all 4 of us ( 2 grown up kids ) inserted Korean SIM into iPhones ( 1 sim space ) and turned on our phones to get Korean network. I got charged £7 and wife £26 for roaming the day we arrived but not any other time in the 2 weeks. kicked up a fuss and they refunded but still said we used data which clearly would have been impossible. waited for kids bills to have the same nonsense but they didnt get charged anything yet we all followed the same steps and have the same phones and plans?

danielshanahan
Regular

I now have a spending cap of £1. I turned off both Mobile Data and Data Roaming this weekend when I was in Copenhagen. I have not been charged as yet and there is no 0.0009MB data usage showing. So clearly either the spend cap or the turning off of Mobile Data (in addition to my usual turning off of Data Roaming) has mitigated the issue. Unfortunately, I don't know which one it was!

Jnet80
Regular

Three called me back regarding my complaint for the roaming charges. Said the charges still stand as we accessed data whilst abroad. Obviously I pointed out again that we did not and that we had a spending cap put on this account after the last time this happened so it wouldn't happen again. Got put through to the complaints department who said the spending cap for calls and minutes were set at 0 but data was set at £45. In which I replied, why would I set that at £45 when that was the whole reason the spending cap was put in place. They offered me a £10 goodwill gesture, I declined, why should I pay for something we didn't use and took every step to ensure we wouldn't use data abroad. He has now escalated the complaint, could be up to 7 days before I get a response. Its a nice money making racket for three!