cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stop the 3G switch off

Biobob
Fledgling

I have had no end of trouble with my 4G service on my so called home broadband either going off completely or dropping to 3G. There has been no further areas upgraded to 5G within 30 miles so that is never coming. You need to stop the 3G switch off in areas without 5G as you are going to cut people off completely 

3 REPLIES 3
dontknow
Regular

I agree. I moved to 3 last month and I can’t believe how bad the 4G is but when it switches to 3G everything works great. 

I’d write to Ofcom if I were you. It will be a genuine concern for many people…especially those tied into contracts who won’t be able to change networks as quickly. You could try to raise your concern with Three as well but they’ll probably just fob you off by telling you about the GrEAt bIG nEtWOrk BuILD and promising that in 10 years time they might finally upgrade your area. 

sc1999
Local celebrity

Guess what band smart meters use?  Yes 3G.

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Biobob,

Welcome to the Three Community.

I'm sorry to hear that your experience of coverage on Three hasn't been good so far, and can appreciate your concerns around the news that we'll no longer be supporting 3G in the future.

This is not an immediate change however, we aren't intending to simply deactivate the 3G signal. There are plans in place between now and the end of 2024 to greatly increase our 4G and 5G coverage and capacity.

As well as new masts, existing 3G ones are being upgraded to 4G. We don't anticipate any customer will experience a loss of coverage as a result of these changes, and expect the 4G network to perform much better than ever before once all these upgrades are in place.

Please be assured, retiring 3G is a positive move, and with the plans and investments we are making this will lead to a stronger, faster network than ever before.

JonathanB

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.