cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to make / receive calls

Buffster41
Fledgling

I have been unable to  make or receive phone calls now for at least a month, you are saying because you are switching 3G off  and you need 4G calling ( which according to your page my phone does ) but still nothing. But visiting 2 phone stores today ( inc 1 who deals with all phones and several networks Inc 3  ) BOTH told me phone calls have nothing to do with 3 or 4G !!! That is to do with the internet only and that even if you have a simple basic phone you should be able to make / receive phone calls. In the second shop he told us he has had lots of complaints from 3 customers with the same problem, and it's a problem with them. So what is the TRUTH !?!?

7 REPLIES 7
MZone
Superstar

Have a look at the page here for more information. If your phone doesn’t support 4G calling or VoLTE and 3G has been switched off in your area then you won’t be able to use your phone. If your phone is compatible as you say then check that 4G calling or VoLTE is toggled on. Also put your postcode in the coverage checker to see if 3G has actually been switched off in your area. If it hasn’t then this is not the issue and you need to contact customer services. 

Buffster41
Fledgling

No it's not because as I said 4G has nothing to do with calling !!! It's the internet only.  And sorry but customer service is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard !! 

I went into the 3 shop who were very unhelpful , peddling the same nonsense . When I told them my phone was on the list for having 4G calling , although it doesn't , they just told me to contact Samsung !! 

MZone
Superstar

I’m sorry but you are incorrect 4G has a lot to do with calling especially if 3G has been removed in your area. You have obviously not read the link I provided. 

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Buffster41,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been hearing conflicting information. Although the primary distinction between 3/4/5G is the data speeds you can obtain, you do need an appropriate signal to make calls. Currently calls are made/received over 3G and 4G (4G calling is dependent on the phone and software supporting this feature), however 3G is in the process of being shut down (more info in the link @MZone shared).

Can you let me know what make and model of phone you use? Does our Coverage Checker show that we've shut down 3G in your area? Let me know on the above and I'll check if there's any other advice we can give.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

According to the checker my area still has 3G coverage  & 4G is available. My phone is a Samsung J3 2017. Which appeared on the list as having 4G calling but the only option if has is 2G/3G/4G auto connect . Which I assume is something different to 4G calling !?!! 

Oh and I'm only on PAYG but I presume that makes no difference.