cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Used to have the free 200M data sim but it stopped without notification?

pwalk
Active

For the last couple of years, I've had an active free 200MB monthly data sim.
Recently after the online account and app has been updated, I couldn't see my allowance or refresh date. The SIM continued working fine (data and incoming calls as well).

I chatted to support and the agent appeared a bit clueless and claiming this has stopped. I didn't see how this could have been stopped since it was working fine and I haven't heard anything about it from Three. When I confirmed that I can still use data on it (while roaming as well, as it used to), the agent's reply was basically "that's great".

After coming off the chat, it has suddenly stopped.
Now, I understand that the service might have stopped and it was a free service, but to cut it off just like that, without notification and after chatting to support who didn't appear to know abut it, is strange to say the least. For all purposes, this was a normal working SIM from Three, albeit for data only. I'm sure something's wrong here?

180 REPLIES 180
DwvidIT
Fledgling

The Terms and Conditions for Three Data Reward SIM are still on Three's website. I checked today as I was battling with their clueless Chat Agents.

Link here......

https://www.three.co.uk/terms-conditions/three-products-and-services/data-reward-sim?manufacturer=&i...

pwalk
Active

Unfortunately, as pointed out elsewhere in this thread, these T&C's also say "Three reserves the right to withdraw or amend the offer of 200MB free data each month at any time.".☹️

DwvidIT
Fledgling

Yes, I accept withdrawing the offer for future registrations. If you make an agreement 'for life', thats is different. My understanding was that variation of accepted Terms and Conditions (on both sides) could only be varied by agreement (of both parties)

The Ts&Cs are quite clear, they can withdraw it at any time. Is English your first language?

What was not done was to give people who had the Data Reward SIM any notice, never mind 30 days, that it was being withdrawn. You may have incurred an unexpected loss as a result of that - it is this that is the crux of any complaint to Three.

Monstromart
Fledgling

Hi, yes there is a withdraw clause, but there is also a for life clause. The terms of the contract are conflicting. In this case, the Consumer Rights Act 2015, part 2, section 69 should be applicable. It states: “If a term in a consumer contract, or a consumer notice, could have different meanings, the meaning that is most favourable to the consumer is to prevail.”. According to UK law, Three should not have removed the free allowance.

I suggest we report Three to trading standards and Ofcom.

This is also something you may want to mention in an Ombudsman case.

That's a very interesting point. Thanks for mentioning it.

I suggest we report Three to trading standards and Ofcom.

This is also something you may want to mention in an Ombudsman case.

Anybody up for doing that?

I have already done it!

I do not expect much out of it but if they see lots of reports on the same issue, they may open an investigation.

Thanks! Did you report to Trading Standards too (via the Citizen's Advice form, I think)?