cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are 5g download speeds so slow?

d_elle
Fledgling

I recently moved to 3 and am using a Samsung Galaxy 23 Ultra 5G, but ever since I have noticed that whenever the data connection switches to 5G the download speeds are atrocious. I never get more than 5mbps, with an average of about 2mbps. Upload It's practically useless. Although 4G is much better, but even that still only averages around 10-15mbps. I live and work in the centre of Birmingham, an area deemed as having good coverage. What's going on? Is my data being intentionally throttled?

My phone is up to date, there's not much running in the background using any data. Not using vpn.

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
sc1999
Local celebrity

I have the same problem and it is due to me being at the extreme limits of the 5g tower. My reception can switch between 3, 4 and 5g in a second. The phone, unfortunately, defaults to the highest number, 5g, and not the strongest signal. I have to have my phone set to 4g max and not allow it to go to 5g as the upload is measured in K nor M so websites refuse to open as they are timing out.

5g requires more power so more, smaller, masts are being built. However, it seems that they get quickly over subscribed which also explains why you may get 5g on your phone but 3 will not sell 5g home broadband. I think that all of the mobile networks have oversold the abilities of their broadband packages and, along with a big uptake in 5g phone usage, are struggling to keep up with increased capacity demands.

I live in a very rural area and none of the networks can provide me with more than 15meg (Vodafone) and 5-10meg from 3. EE goes from 100meg at 6am to 1meg at 10am. O2's performance falls with 3 and Vodafone. I have no idea how long it will take for the networks to roll out consistently high speed networks or if they can all afford to.

Vodafone are slashing staff numbers which is not a good sign for the investment and installation of new equipment. EE seems to spend more on advertising than all of the other networks put together while 3 never seem to advertise. Perhaps Chelsea, a mid-ranking football club, takes their entire advertising spend.

Sorry about thrambling but just killing time before i have to go out.

d_elle
Fledgling

Thanks. Yeah, seems like the networks are quick to market what they can't fully deliver. Ok, so seems then that not all areas in the centre of a major city are necessarily covered for 5G then. Hopefully they get the masts rolled out soon. That still doesn't quite explain the poorish 4G speeds though, as the 3 covergae checker indicates very good service for the whole of the area.

sc1999
Local celebrity

Poor 4g can also due to oversubscription, masts being downgraded or equipment being removed to make space for upgrades. Who knows? If 3 do, they are not telling.

Try the OFCOM checker as this goes down to Indvidual addresses and can quite revealing.

Broadband and mobile coverage checker - Ofcom

Avondale
Rising star

In fairness to the networks, they are fighting NIMBYs and local authorities who keep refusing planning permission to erect new masts, they having to refit masts because of the government insisting that Chinese kit is withdrawn and they have a customer-base demanding more at less cost.  

Mrman55667
Regular

I live in the centre of Birmingham as well and have been having the same issues for over a year. Main issue is downloading anything as it tanks the speed to around 10mbs give or take (currently at 4mbs). Been trying to discuss it with Three support since it started happening and just keep getting told that work is being done on masts, which clearly isn’t the case unless it takes a year to fix/build a mast. I think it’s the dishonesty  and lack of actual support or answers that makes it sting, just locked into a contract and that’s that. Money coming out every month for nothing.

Bazowl
Fledgling

I just got out today I told them I absolutely will not pay for a non existent service. My cool off period finished yesterday so they tried to charge me a cancellation fee, which I flatly refused to pay. Liars and cheats but they're all as bad as each other