cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

calling from uk to my phone while I am abroad

Ahmed
Fledgling

Good Morning I am currently in Saudi Arabia and I am using my three mobile there. The thing is someone  from the uk tried to contact me whilst I am there but they couldn't reach me. the thing is it is for a job interview and I have to do the telephone interview whilst I am in Saudi Arabia. Any idea how to fix this problem and receive calls. would you recommend I tell them to call my uk number using 00 44 for example. thanks very much

4 REPLIES 4
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Ahmed,

Welcome to the Three Community, we'll do our best to help you with this.

Dialling 0044 or +44 is for calling back to the UK from another country, it wouldn't normally be relevant for receiving calls whilst abroad, so I don't think that will work.

The call doesn't show up at all, no missed call notification? Are you able to confirm if the issue is also stopping other UK lines from calling you, is there perhaps a friend or family member that could help test that?

Just in case you aren't aware, the roaming rates from Saudi Arabia are very expensive, and this does include charging you when answering calls. Here's a link to roaming rates for Saudi Arabia. I'm happy to help look for a solution, but if it's going to be a long interview, you may prefer to do this over a 3rd party app using WiFi if available.

Let me know on the above questions, and I'll find out what to try next.

JonathanB

Three Community is celebrating our 2nd Birthday with a prize draw! join in here

Ahmed
Fledgling

Hello Jonathan Thanks very much for your message actually the person tried to called but couldn't reach me  hence the reason I asked if I could perhaps ask them to add using +44 when calling from the uk. The call will last around fifteen minutes and its only done by phone they have mentioned to me when calling. can I ask if you have any suggestions which I could use before tomorrow just to make sure they can reach me for the interview. Thanks very much

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hey Ahmed,

Just to confirm +44 and 0044 should still work for dialling a UK to UK call so there's no harm in trying, it just isn't normally necessary as the network should still track down where you're roaming.

Assuming that your general roaming is working, and you can make calls and use data, that would indicate your roaming is active, be careful if testing any of this, as mentioned this can lead to high charges.

If you check your phone settings, there's two things worth trying. Usually network mode is 3/4/5G automatic, it might be worth choosing 3G only, or 4G only to see if either of these work. (Depending on your phone 3G may be referred to as UMTS, and 4G may be referred to as LTE, just in case you have any trouble finding this.)

If trying to manually connect to 3/4G doesn't seem to help, then you can also manually connect to different networks whilst abroad. This is usually "network selection" or "carrier selection", change this to manual, and test if calls work on any available networks in case there's some sort of local fault.

I'll also send a private message to your community account with advice on how to get more help, if you're unable to find these settings, or if they don't solve the problem.

JonathanB

Three Community is celebrating our 2nd Birthday with a prize draw! join in here

Ahmed
Fledgling

Hello Jonathan thanks very much for the message please do ill have a look at the message if the problem doesn't get solved