cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhones fail to auto-join THREE_WIFI on London Underground despite being configured to do so

NFH
Active

Since May 2022, it is no longer possible for Three customers to use the "Virgin Media WiFi" SSID in London Underground stations, as they must now connect instead using the new "THREE_WIFI" SSID. Three provides a wifi profile on SIMs containing the credentials for iPhones to connect to the new "THREE_WIFI" SSID.

https://www.three.co.uk/support/device-support/free-wifi-on-london-underground instructs iPhone users "Switch on your device and connect automatically". However, despite this clear confirmation that the device should connect automatically, as well as the THREE_WIFI profile being configured by Three to "Auto-join" and this wifi network being configured in wifi settings to "Auto-Join", iPhones fail to automatically join this wifi network. The impact is that:

1. Whenever an iPhone becomes briefly disconnected from THREE_WIFI for any reason, it fails to reconnect automatically and remains disconnected.
  2. If a Three customer is on a train, then each time the train comes into a Tube station, the iPhone fails to reconnect automatically to THREE_WIFI, causing a loss of connectivity.
  3. If a Three customer walks around a Tube station, then the iPhone can become disconnected from THREE_WIFI if there is a failed handover between access points, following which the iPhone fails to reconnect automatically to THREE_WIFI, causing a loss of connectivity.

This is a defect, which did not occur on the previous "Virgin Media WiFi" SSID.  The defect is either with the configuration of the THREE_WIFI network or with the THREE_WIFI profile on the SIM, which contains the credentials for this wifi network. Given that the defect does not occur at one station, Waterloo, it suggests that the cause is the former rather than the latter. It is notable that the wifi at Waterloo has always behaved slightly differently from other stations also with the previous "Virgin Media WiFi" SSID. The defect affects all Three customers using iPhones, not only me.

I have reported this to Three customer services, but the responses that I received demonstrate insufficient technical knowledge by customer services to understand or resolve the issue, and there is also a significant language barrier. Please could the Three community team escalate this and obtain an estimated time for it to be fixed?

IMG_0478.PNGIMG_0479.PNG

15 REPLIES 15
SE
Regular

The Three chat text is 30 mins avoiding direct questions. The issue remains. No uk or trusted way to resolve this. I’m leaving three…after endless frustrations 

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @NFH,

Sorry for the delay in getting in touch with you. I appreciate that this must be a really frustrating issue if you're having to repeatedly manually connect to the Wi-Fi service at underground stations.

I've received feedback that we have recently addressed an issue that was causing some authentication requests on the underground network to fail, so that may be relevant here. Is this issue still persisting for you now?

I appreciate you've mentioned this is an issue for all iPhone users on Three, but could you confirm which model(s) of iPhone, which software version(s), and at which station(s) you've recently been experiencing this issue?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

NFH
Active

Thanks @JonathanB for your reply. I was on the Tube this afternoon, and it does appear to be fixed. I had been reporting this to both Three and Apple several times over the last few weeks, so it's not clear whether Three or Apple fixed it. For example, we had both updated to iOS 16.4.1, and Apple might have fixed it in iOS 16.4.1. Although the symptoms pointed to an iOS bug, given that the network is clearly configured to "auto-join" but the iPhone fails to auto-join, Apple were blaming Three without explanation.

SE
Regular

Last night NO THREE Wifi connectivity. Not fixed for me. Any suggestions wellcome. iPhone XR. Latest software installed. Its a THREE Issue, and possibly my settings in my phone. NOT YET RESOLVED.

NFH
Active

@SEAre you saying you have no connectivity at all (which would be different symptoms) or that your iPhone doesn't auto-join the network (which would be the symptoms that I described above)?

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @SE,

We'll do our best to help, but I think it's best to stick to the other thread you've been posting on. This'll help keep the information on the community clear and tidy, so that it can be more helpful to our members.

If we do solve the other issue, and you then notice issues with auto join, please update me here though.

JonathanB

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for confirming this @NFH. If you notice any further issues with the service please let me know.

Seanbe
Fledgling

My phone still will not auto connect when on the underground 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Seanbe,

I'm sorry to hear you're also running into issues with this. Just to check, is it the same issue that @NFH described? You have an iPhone which can connect, but it doesn't automatically reconnect if disconnected for any reason?

Please ensure your iOS is fully up to date. Can you let me know which model of iPhone you're using, the software version, and what stations you've been experiencing this issue at?

Thanks,
Jonathan