cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

network coverage

maf
Fledgling

i can send and receive calls and sent text via via 3G but not  4G. unless you boost the 4G signal i will get nothing. also turning off the mobile bands is bad for the environment. every body will have to get a new phone

4 REPLIES 4
sc1999
Local celebrity

My area was 3g it's now 4g, not fast 4g but still 4g. 3 are improving things you just have to be patient. As for everyone needing to buy a new phone I don't and I have had a 4g compatible phone for many years. As for "bad for the environment" there are things that you, personally, can do to mitigate the environmental profligacy of the networks. Use more public transport, send you phone to a charity and they will either see them properly recycled or sent to nations that still use 3g. You can eat less red meat and instal solar panels and a wind turbine.

3 are shutting down 3g this year, O2 next year, Vodafone and EE within the next few months. So, if you don't want a new phone, you can delay things by a few months by switching to O2. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

You really are bad at either your research made towards this post or your scaremongering ability is sorely lacking. Phones manufactured over the past  ten years (perhaps longer) can all use 4g. Maybe your way forward is to purchase a new handset and recycle your old one. That way the rainforest preservation brigade can join you in feeling good about their lot. 

Steve-b
Regular

Not the whole story. Older phones which support 4G for data may not be able to make calls or send or receive SMS over 4G - for voice and text they need a 3G signal.

I used a Nokia 9 phone bought new in 2019, which was still working fine when I replaced it recently. I replaced it because it could not make calls over 4G (VoLTE), nor send/receive SMS, despite only being four years old. I found this out the hard way: in an area which I visit frequently, 3G was switched off on a local mast and the 3G signal from distant masts was not enough to be able to make calls reliably. Data over 4G was fine, and I could actually make calls using VOIP; but the writing was on the wall, and I stopped using a perfectly serviceable phone because of the 3G switch-off. I completely understand the reasons for dropping 3G and you can't stand in the way of progress, but there are people (like me) who will have to replace their phones as a result of it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I accept what you say obviously and I wasn’t aware of the issue you faced but I suppose it is as you said;progress! Phone’s obviously have a shelf life but I find it strange that a phone bought new in 2019 doesn’t support 4g calling since the tech was starting to be introduced in (I think) 2012 ish. 🤷‍♂️