cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wi-fi calling on HMD Nokia X30 5G on PAYG

techbloke
Active

I bought the X30 direct from HMD's online shop in November of last year and have applied all firmware and Google Play system/carrier services updates to it.

The SIM was activated on Tuesday and I ported my number on Wednesday, now the wi-fi calling soft switch is available within the mobile network setting and is on but at no point does it indicate it's using wi-fi calling (I have a -111-114 dBm 5G connection at home but keen to see if it works in case when I go into the office I can't get a decent signal.

I've reset the network settings and even tried forcing it onto 4G but it just doesn't work.

For info I use Zen Internet as my broadband provider but had it working when I was on an EE based provider and I've noticed Three have the X30 in their handset lineup so unless there's really specific customisation of the firmware and they have a specific operator version I'd have thought it would work, no?

Best solution
Best solution
sc1999
Local celebrity

My Samsung S21FE only drops into wifi calling when I have a poor phone signal. I have no option to turn it on or off. Try to find somewhere at home where you get WiFi but a poor mobile signal.

There is also a possibility that it may not work as you did not buy the phone from 3 but I did not and it works for me.

View solution in conversation

6 REPLIES 6
Best solution
sc1999
Local celebrity

My Samsung S21FE only drops into wifi calling when I have a poor phone signal. I have no option to turn it on or off. Try to find somewhere at home where you get WiFi but a poor mobile signal.

There is also a possibility that it may not work as you did not buy the phone from 3 but I did not and it works for me.

techbloke
Active

@sc1999 

The wording of the option suggests that the operator can decide if it drops into wi-fi calling and this sounds very much as if this is what is happening as I would guess it's more in their interest to keep it on the mobile network.

I'm really impressed at the network quality I have to say considering how the others seem to struggle round here (specifically text and data) but at work there are some dead spots and even people on Three used to complain although that was before they bought more spectrum so who knows.

Cheers for your reply though, it's muich appreciated.

sc1999
Local celebrity

It may be what is suggested but I can tell it's not the case. I am often on wifi calling as my 4g drops to 3g. It may be that it only happens in 3g ad some have complained that they want the option to choose as the have strong wifi but a very weak 4g. Considering how 3 are struggling with capacity,  and many contracts give unlimited minutes, I would have thought 3 would do all they could to free capacity.

techbloke
Active

@sc1999 

I think all the operators are struggling with capacity to a greater or lesser extent (couple of people in the household are on another network which merged with a cable company and are on PAYG too and complain about texts sometimes arriving slow) and the network status has been Red since the middle of last year.

Going back to when I got my first phone when back in Sixth Form college back in 1999 and became inteested in the networks themselves I've always thought the companies marketing the gear to the networks have oversold it's capabilities somewhat, that's not to say the antenna panels, baseband etc isn't capable but I think the cost of keeping ahead of utilisation quickly becomes a money pit for the operators concerned when this is combined with the cost of the gear and of course spectrum licences, a truth which is coming 'home to roost' in the UK and is driving the consolidation.

But that's another interesting discussion but probably not something Three would welcome being discussed here.

Anyway, issue solved, thanks to all.

PeteG
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hello, Techbloke. 

Providers have different ways of handling WiFi calling handover. In some cases a provider will opt to use WiFi calling whenever WiFi is available, others will use it more sparingly. 

I'm not entirely sure what conditions Three look for when deciding to switch over to WiFi calling, but from my experience it doesn't connect automatically just because WiFi is connected. 

To test your WiFi calling, you should be able to place the phone into Airplane Mode, then manually switch WiFi back on while still in Airplane Mode. This should cause the device to connect over WiFi calling and allow you to determine if the feature is working ahead of time. 

Pete. 

techbloke
Active

@PeteG 

Not that I've been inclined to try turning airplane mode on followied by switching on wi-fi I just have and yes indeed I can confirm it works.

Cheers.