cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crazy data usage

Shieldy
Fledgling

Had my phone since May and with my old plan i never ever used my 8gb allowance, i started a new plan on August 26th and from then to now i have somehow used 21gb.....has anyone else had this problem, i do not stream anything or download anything and use FB and Whatsapp , currently in the Highlands of Scotland with no Wifi but even then past holidays up here i never used anywhere near as much data....i think there is a problem

3 REPLIES 3
sc1999
Local celebrity

Sounds as though you have a data hungry app. This sometimes happens when a developer does not test an upgrade.

Go to settings, connections and data usage to see what has been eating your data. Disable the app until an update is ready.

Shieldy
Fledgling

FB and Whatsapp account for roughly 10gb combined but the strange thing is when i contacted 3 they showed me a usage chart which showed large (4.2gb and 2gb) chunks being used firstly while i was driving and secondly asleep in bed.....i find it strange it's only happened since the new contract started but just incase i have switched off all backround data permissions and no apps really raise any alarms for usage

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Shieldy,

That does seem really odd, Whatsapp in particular is usually a very low data usage app, unless you've been receiving a lot of files/media on your chats? Facebook can sometimes rack up a lot of usage though, especially if videos are autoplaying on your feed.

If you've just upgraded your phone it may also have been doing a lot of initial updates perhaps?

If you're using an Android, the data usage screen can be really handy like @sc1999 mentioned. It sometimes varies on where it's located depending on your device and software version, I find this in settings, network and internet, SIMs, app data usage. You'll get a graph showing which days had the most usage, and if you scroll down, a list of your apps by volume of data used.

Hope this helps,
JonathanB

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.