Our new roaming giveaway is live find out more here!
Give us your feedback about how easy you've found getting ready to roam on the above linked article, and you'll be in with the chance to win one of 10, 7 day Go Roam passes to use in Europe and Around the World destinations. Prize draw open till 01 May 2024
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free EU roaming

dinnertime
Fledgling

Eu roaming charges seem to be very much on the way back for UK customers. As many of us in the UK will now be returning, or thinking of returning, to international travel as covid restrictions ease, is it time for government action on this to compel these companies to remove these unjustified charges?

35 REPLIES 35
sc1999
Local celebrity

We all new that this was likely to happen when our oven ready Brexit was delivered. It's probably a form of tax evasion, or avoidance, by the networks as many are not UK owned. The overseas owners can transfer funds from the UK and not pay UK tax on the income. It's akin to an offshore company charging its UK business millions for the use of the logo.

What can or will the government do? Nothing as most of the mobile companies are foreign owned and they can syphon as much costs as they like from the UK company so it has no profits to tax. Take away their licences, contractual nightmare. Ban them from bidding when the spectrum license comes up for renewal. I am not sure if the mobile companies spectrum licenses are perpetual.

Buy a SIM in the country you are going to and leave a message on you UK SIM giving out the new local number. We used to do that before free roaming.

coglioncello
Regular

This is a very serious issue, 3 must be able to offer better roaming packages.

p0ked
Fledgling

I've been with Three for 10+ years now. I've had to recently change my tariff, because they were getting rid of older ones (which I was on), which means I lose all of my benefits, like the not having to pay for Roaming! (You don't have to pay if your contract started before a certain date.) I'm a bit annoyed by this and actually thought twice about not taking out a new contract with Three. In this climate, Three really should be thinking about ways to keep customers instead of turning them away.

Biba
Fledgling

I completely agree with you. This happened to me as well. Recently, I was forced to change my contract as It was old. I was the fair user of roaming data and minutes. Now I have to pay £2 to use data every 24 hour. Even after paying £2 every day the limit is just 12GB for a month.

TERMINATOR
Regular

Come on THREE. Do the right thing.

coglioncello
Regular

Exactly this is an insane step back to middle age.

coglioncello
Regular

This is something 3 must urgently fix. It is simply unacceptable.

alanlw
Regular

Have Three now introduced roaming charges when visiting European destinations ?

coglioncello
Regular

Roaming charges are back after years of free Feel at Home roaming, 3 Mobile must be able to offer a better package for roaming customers? I would suggest a fixed amount per month to cover all roaming charges in Feel at Home countries, maybe £10 per month? This is urgent.

p0ked
Fledgling

I agree that something should be put into place here (ideally have it free again!) - I wonder if the £10 a month can be taken on/off or added when needed because some people might not travel all the time?